Chapter 10: Storytime

Once upon a time, there was a young princess. She had pale skin, poofy teal hair, mauve eyes, and red spade-shaped marks on her cheeks.

This girl lived in a kingdom where monsters were hated. However, she was the only one who didn't. She didn't like the way monsters were treated, and wanted to change it. Sadly, not even her own mother would listen to a word she said about the topic.

In an act of sadness and anger, the princess ran away from home, and into the nearby forest. While running, she tripped on a rock, and fell into a strange hole in the ground. She felt like she was falling for hours, but eventually, she landed in a strange world. The princess had fallen unconscious from hitting the ground, and when she awoke, she had no memory of who or what she was.

She tried to get up, but her legs were broken from the impact. She cried out for somebody, anybody, and when they didn't show up, she started to pray for help.

But nobody came.

Just as she was about to give up, she saw a strange, one-eyed boy approaching her.

(???)"Hey, are you okay?!"

Surprised, but not scared, she said to the boy,

(Girl)"N-Not exactly. I can't move my legs."

(???)"Oh! Don't worry, I'll bring you to my brother! He's better at healing magic than me, he'll fix you up in no time!"

He picked her up, and carried her to a castle in the distance. She didn't know why, but she had a strange feeling. She found this boy kind of "cute", in a way.

(???)"So, what's your name?"

(Girl)"I...I honestly don't remember."

(???)"Well, until you remember, how about I call you, Spades?"

(Girl)"Spades? Why Spades?"

(???)"The two spades on your face, it just seemed right. Do you, like it?"

(Spades)"...Sure, you can call me Spades."

When they arrived in the castle, the boy's brother healed Spades. They didn't know who she was, or where she came from, so they decided to let her live with them.

Months went by, the the boy started to have feelings for Spades. He felt like she did too, so one day, he took her to a special place where you can see the sun set over the ocean.

(Spades)"It's...so beautiful."

(???)"Uh, y-yes, it's...very beautiful, like......"

(Spades)"Like what?"

(???)"Um...Spades? Can I ask you an, important question?"

(Spades)"Of course."

(???)"Ok then, do you...by any chance...l-like me?"

He tapped his fingers together, and his eye started to glow pink.

(Spades)"Well, I do. Why do you ask?"

Her face was starting to get red.

(???)"O-Oh! Then, I was wondering if...you and I could...become a, c-couple...?"

(Spades)"Well...I don't see why not. We both like eachother, so, why not?"

(???)"R-Really?!"

(Spades)"Yeah, I accept your request."

She kissed him on the cheek, and his flared bright green.

(Spades)"Huh? Your eye's green now. What does that mean?"

(???)"Hehe, it means I'm...happy."

After that, they made their relationship known to everyone. They were so happy for 10 years, but then, Spades grew ill from an unknown sickness. It made her weaker and weaker by the day. No healing magic from any of the doctors could help her, and the young man had to watch her final moments on her death bed.

(???)"Spades, I...I just want you to know, that I tried everything in my power to save you. Please, just remember that I tried my best, won't you?"

(Spades)"Of course, love...you shouldn't keep blaming yourself. I-It's not like we knew this would ha-"

She started to cough uncontrollably.

(???)"Spades?!"

He squeezed her hand tightly.

(Spades)"Don't worry about me anymore...I'll be...in a better...place..."

She went silent.

(???)"Sp-Spades? Spades?!"

He saw a purple heart rise from her body, and it was about to break into pieces.

(???)"No...I can't lose you!!!"

He managed to grab the heart before it completely shattered, there was only half of it left.

(???)"Spades, I promise, with my very heart and soul, I'll bring you back, I'll make sure of it..."

Present Day

(Toffee)"So that's what happened to the princess who went missing? She fell into the Nightmare Realm, and lost her memory?"

(Duin)"...Yes."

(Toffee)"I see, I always thought she was just eaten by a dragon, or something worse."

(Duin)"It doesn't matter now. The damage has been done, and there's no turning back."

(Duin)"I promise that I WILL bring you back, Spades. whatever it takes. I'll make sure of it."