Chapter 30: Close to Him

William woke up in what he assumed to be some place in Mewni. There were large purple rose bushes around him.

(William)"Ugh, what happened?"

(William)"...Oh right, Duin probably killed me. Now, where the heck am I? Is this the after life? Am I actually dead?"

He explored this unknown location for a minute until he heard the sound of a woman humming a soft tune. He followed the humming until he saw the source.

It was a woman with teal hair, and wore a purple dress. She was tending to a rose bush, and had a bucket of candy bar wrappers next to her.

(William)"Uh...hello? Sorry if I'm intruding, but could you tell me where I am?"

The woman turned t face him, and he could now see that she had purple eyes, and spade-shaped marks on her cheeks, just like Caram. She had a happy expression upon seeing him, like she knew who he was.

 She had a happy expression upon seeing him, like she knew who he was

(???)"Hello, your name's William, isn't it?"

(William)"Yes, actually. How did you know that?"

(???)"My son told me about you."

(William)"Wait. Your son? That means, that you're..."

(Spades)"That's right, I'm Spades."

(William)"B-But aren't you supposed to be dead?"

(Spades)"I'm technically still alive, since half of me is part of Caram."

(William)"Then where are we?"

(Spades)"We're in his, and my soul. Turns out that there's a pocket dimension in them."

(William)"This...this is crazy! I'm actually speaking to the person who's the reason Duin's causing all this needless destruction!"

Spades let out a sigh of annoyance.

(Spades)"Ugh, I still can't believe he called himself Duin, it makes no sense!"

(William)"Huh? Are you saying that Duin's not his real name?"

(Spades)"No, that's not what his father named him."

(William)"...And what was his father's name?"

(Spades)"Oh, I think his name was...Zai."

William's eyes went black, as he sat down on a nearby bench.
It was all connecting now. The story in the temple, the scratched out name and picture, the mystery of the other son, it was him. "Duin" wiped out his real name. This is why Zoozai never gave him any information on him, he didn't want to tell him who Duin he really was.

(William)"That means that Duin's...my Uncle?"

(Spades)"Hehe, then that makes me your Aunt."

(William)"No...no, no, no!"