Second Chance At Love: Chapter 28

NEXT CHAPTER!

Chapter 28:

The day of Carleigha's funeral was gorgeous outside. It was warm even though it was the end of January. It had rained a few days before, so the grass was looking green. The sun was out and there was just the perfect amount of wind.

"How can it be so nice out on such an awful day," I said to my dad as I poured hot water into my cup of tea.

He folded up his newspaper and sipped his coffee.

"I really don't think Carleigha would want you to be so sad, Monica."

"I'm doing fine," I lied, picking at my bagel sitting on the counter.

My dad shook his head, not believing my story.

"You seemed okay at first, like you were going to be okay. But now you're just in this depression. She wouldn't want you to be like this, you need to think of Marina."

I looked towards the stairs. Marina was still in her nursery sleeping. She was so easy; she slept well in the night, only getting up for a bottle once or twice.

"I'm going to go shower before she gets up," I said, throwing the rest of my bagel away and heading out of the kitchen.

"Just think about what I said," My dad called as I was walking up the stairs.

I turned on the shower and undressed as the water was warming up. I really hated the fact that I was going to a second funeral for a family member in the last 7 or so months. I lost my mom and my sister; and nothing could replace them.

When I finished showering, Marina was still asleep; so I combed my hair to air dry and did my makeup quickly.

20 minutes later I heard Marina start crying through the monitor, so I headed into the nursery to get her.

"Shhh..." I said, walking to her crib and picking her up, "Hey, it's okay. Let's get you a bottle, Baby."

I changed Marina's diaper and pulled my bathrobe tighter around me as I headed back downstairs and into the kitchen. My dad had left, probably to shower and get ready. I warmed a pre-made bottle for in the night and set Marina in her bouncy seat as I got it ready.

"Here you go," I said, sticking the bottle in her mouth and smiling when she started drinking.

After Marina ate I gave her a bath and put a black dress I bought on her, I combed her hair and stuck a little bow in it.

"There," I said, setting her in her swing which I had brought into my room, "Your ready to go, so I'm going to get ready now."

I scrunched some mousse in my hair so it would wave naturally, and then I put on the dress I was wearing.

It was a black dress with only one shoulder strap. The top layer was a ruffle and there was a tie that cinched it around the waist. I slipped on my black Christian Louboutin pumps that Cassidy made me buy in New York.

"Dad! Are you ready?" I yelled as I descended the stairs, carrying Marina sleeping in her car seat. It wasn't as easy to carry her and wear heels as I hoped for. Maybe it gets better with time.

"Yeah, I'll be there in a minute, Sweetie," he called back from his office. Probably last minute business. A few minutes later we headed out the door and to the church where the funeral was being held. Dad parked the car at the church and I hesitatingly got out and headed inside with Marina.

The whole thing was kind of a fuzzy blur. All the way up to a certain point that I remember clearly.

People were talking to me and paying their respects, and I listened and answered the best I could. But it all happened so fast and I just wanted to leave.