Second Chance At Love: Chapter 3

HERE IT IS! Chapter 3. This is where the plot starts off. Hope you guys like it. :)

Chapter 3:

"Tell me all about it," my mom said as I climbed into the passenger seat of her car. She was picking me up from Kate's party, as I really didn't want to have to ride home with Damon.

"About what?" I asked, buckling my seatbelt.

"Why you needed me to pick you up. Why aren't you riding home with Damon? Did you guys have a fight?"

"No, Mom, I just wanted to leave now, and Damon, Stacy, and John wanted to stay longer," I replied, hoping my lie would fool her.

"Aww! No drama?" she asked.

I laughed. "No, Mom, no drama."

She pulled into Taylor's diner.

"Let's get sundaes!" she said, grabbing her purse and climbing out of the car, "My treat!"

I followed her inside where we ordered our ice cream and sat down at a table to eat it.

In between bites, Mom was telling me all about her new job and how much she loved it. I was trying to pay attention, but I was kind of preoccupied.

"Monica! Are you even listening to me?" my mom cried, exasperated. I jerked to attention.

"What, Mom?"

She sighed, " I said that your dad had to prolong his business trip, he's staying a little longer. Not sure how much longer yet."

I nodded; I was use to my dad being away on trips. He was usually gone 3 out of 4 weeks in a month.

"What's going on, Sweetie?" my mom asked me, taking my hand.

I looked up at her. I could tell that she really wanted to help.

"Mom, have you ever wanted to do something. Like really wanted to, but your afraid? So afraid of how it'll end up that you'd rather not try at all?"

"Of course, Baby. Everyone has felt like that at times."

"I don't know, Mom. I'm so confused. I don't know what I want, and I keep telling myself that. But deep down I know what I really want. I just don't want to actually admit it to myself because I don't want to long for it. Ugh! Life can be so hard!"

My mom chuckled.

"You have no idea, Monica! If you think life is difficult now, wait a few years. Wait until your married and struggling to pay the bills. Then you'll have to work on relationships AND support yourself."

"Not helping, Mom. Not helping at all," I grumbled.

"Sorry, Sweetie. Just do what your heart is telling you. Sometimes you have to not listen to your head, and the others around you, but just listen to your heart. With a pure heart like yours, it will never lead you wrong," she told me, squeezing my hand.

"Yeah, but what if I can't get what my heart is telling me to do?" I asked her.

"Can't or won't, Monica?" she asked back.

That really doesn't help. I know what my heart is telling me to do. I just don't want to admit it.

I spent a lot of time in my room, thinking about everything. The pros and cons. What I really wanted. What was right. Everything! I knew that I loved Damon. But was I in love with him? That was something that I wasn't sure about. Sure, dating him wouldn't be a problem. I mean, I liked him. He was easy to like. But with our background we couldn't just have a casual dating relationship. That was a con. If we tried dating, and it didn't work out, then we would have ruined a friendship of twelve years. That would be ruining my only real friendship. Sure I had other friends. But all of their friendships put together didn't mean a tenth to me of what Damon's did. He had been my best friend for 12 whole years! I just couldn't see this ending well.