Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Jack's POV

Brooke and I have been hanging out for the past three days now. Weird, I know. She's definitely changed from all her bad ways with Emma. Of course the friendship won't be like mine and Emma's once was but she's been here for me.

Emma's been back from LA for a couple days or so I've heard. I haven't talked to her yet and I only know that because of what people have told me. I stopped my old, shitty sleeping habits and I've been waking up at a reasonable time of 10:30am.

Brooke was going to come over today and we were going to go to a party later on. It was kind of weird to think I was going to go to a party because I haven't been to one in forever. I haven't seen any of my other friends in forever and I was excited to see them. I know I was going to get asked the same question over and over again "Where's Emma" I always went to parties with her, just as friends of course, and I know I'll be getting a bunch of stares when I walk in with Brooke instead.

I really don't know what Brooke and I are labeled. We're definitely not boyfriend and girlfriend but I have kissed her a couple times after the first time. I don't know, maybe it's because she was there for me when no one else was.

Today's been pretty productive actually. I got up, walked my dog, picked Brooke up and we went to lunch, then I dropped her back off at her house so she could get ready. I told her I would pick her back up at 8:00pm.

The party was at Sammy's which I wasn't too excited about but just because it was at his house doesn't mean I had to talk to him.

As I was getting ready I got a text. I looked to see who it was from and I froze. It was from Emma.

I stared at her name on my phone. It's been so long. I wasn't sure if I should open it or not. We were so used to texting everyday and now it felt so weird.

I hesitated as I unlocked my phone.

Emma: Jack can we talk

Of course I wanted to talk to her. I wanted to pick her up, spin her around, and kiss her in the pouring rain. But she broke my heart. It didn't feel right to respond. I ignored it and sighed. I didn't want to focus on this. I want to have a good time tonight and forget about her.

Emma's POV

It was bittersweet being back in Omaha. I mean, it is my home, but Jack is here. I was so scared to see him again but I know I had to eventually. I had to explain everything that had happen. The truth.

The only person who I've talked to since I've been back was Johnson. He truly did feel bad for me and I told him the full story over text. He was going to tell Gilinsky the truth but I wanted to do it myself.

I sent him a text telling him we had to talk. I don't know how I got the nerve to do it but it didn't help because he never answered me. When I told Johnson he didn't answer, he told me he would be at Sammy's party tonight so I could meet him there. Now I'm standing in a crowded room with almost 100 kids and they're all drunk and high.

I really didn't want to be here honestly. I was wearing a tight black dress that fit me pretty well if I do say so myself. I had on my red heels and a red clutch. I put on some makeup and straightened my hair which was rare.

The music was louder than it should be and my body pounded along with the bass of the music. I wasn't here for these people though. I was here to look for Jack.

Jack's POV

I wrapped my arm around Brooke's waist as she got out of my jeep. There were already a bunch of kids here as I expected.