Chapter 21

Chapter Twenty-One

"Call me later, okay? I'm busy!" I snapped to Amy on the phone and ended the call hastily. I was taking the pasta out from the boiling water when the doorbell rang. I cursed under my breath because a droplet of boiling water landed on my hand as I placed the pasta in a bowl.

"Wait!" I grunted, wiped my hands in my apron and walked my way towards the door. Nath is watching some random cartoon at Disney channel when I walked past her and she ignored me. I opened the door to see Nate standing with a sheepish smile plastered in his face.

I looked at my wristwatch and a smile formed in my lips, "You're early... it's still five!" I chuckled and he just shrugged his broad shoulders. I heard Nath's footsteps and not seconds later, she is huffing beside me.

"Uncle Nate!" She squealed excitedly and tugged him inside the house. I rolled my eyes but laughed nonetheless.

"Hi, Nath," He chuckled and he handed me a box of pizza that I did not realize he was holding. Fine, I admit, my eyes are on his face.

"You shouldn't have bothered to buy this." I shook my head and went back in the kitchen. I placed the pizza on the table and prepared the sauce for the spaghetti. I heard them laughing at something from the living room and I chuckled quietly at myself.

It was after a long while when someone talked beside me, "Something's funny?" I was startled from Nate's sudden appearance beside me and his rather close proximity. I inched away uncomfortably and laughed, masking my pounding heart.

"This will just take another few minutes." I mumbled distractedly as I tried my hardest to ignore his presence beside me. I can feel his eyes boring at the side of my face and it is making me nervous yet giddy like a hormonal teenager for some reasons.

I dragged a shaky sigh and turned to him, "You can wait there with Nath on the living room... you don't have to stand guard here." I said sternly and he chuckled as he regarded me in plain amusement.

"What's funny?" I snapped, he raised his hands in mock surrender and went out of the kitchen. I walked after him and saw him sat beside Nath. They talked quietly with each other and agreed on something.

After a while, I called them in the dining table to eat dinner; Nath sat beside Nate and me across them.

"No food fights, okay?" I reprimanded sternly and they both chuckled. The whole dinner, Nath talked to Nate so animatedly that watching her talk was very entertaining. My eyes flickered on him and my heart skipped a beat. He was looking at Nath tenderly and he was hanging in every word she was saying. I just hope that these are not acts because my daughter will get hurt badly, especially now that their bond is slowly deepening.

His gaze met mine and he directed his warm smile at me. I smiled back and mouthed "Thank you". Only he can put that smile on my daughter's face and I will sail heaven and hell to keep that in place. I would do anything.

"Uncle Nate, will you go with mom in my recital?" Nath asked hopefully and my eyes swiveled onto him, anticipating his response. He was staring at her in uncertainty for a moment that I almost believed he would decline then his eyes flickered to me and I gave him a weak hopeful smile.

"Of course! That would be great!" He exclaimed and Nath jumped on her feet with excitement as she squealed happily. He looked at me again and I smiled widely this time.

"Mommy, told me to ask Uncle Connor too, ya know. Are you friends?" She asked innocently. Nate's enthusiastic face fell, and a slight scowl made its way in his face.

"We will be, but not as of the moment." He answered and looked at me impassively.

"Aww. Too bad! You should be friends with Uncle Connor because he's the best uncle in the world!" Nath said proudly as she waved her hands in a circle. My heart dropped for Nate, that must sting. I gave a sideway glance and saw him looking away with his shoulders slumped.