A Father's Desperation

Before leaving her jewelry shop, Doreyna draped her favorite silk scarf over her head, crossed it under neck, and let the ends fall over the back of her shoulders. She locked her shop and began the short, three block walk to the Temple. Her eyes went to the sky and she thought to herself that it was a lovely, late spring day and what a shame it was that she couldn't enjoy it more.

The woman who had earlier visited her store had to be Kellan's lost daughter, Raina. She looked exactly like her mother. Though her hair and eye colors were different from when she was born, there was no mistaking it was her, she'd bet her life on it.  But why was she here? Could she know who she was? Is that what brought her to Todeya? There was an urgency about her regarding the rings, which made her wonder what kind of connection she had with her husband. She had given her the truth about them, almost all of it at least. The rest would be up to Kellan to tell.

Arriving at the doors to the Temple, she entered and it took her eyes a moment to adjust to the dark interior. She approached the altar and dipped two fingers in the anointing oil, then touched the center of both palms before lowering to her knees. She raised her hands, palms side up, to shoulder height and quietly recited a prayer to her goddess. She rose and walked to sit next to Kellan in the first pew.

"Jora said you called and sounded quite urgent." She took Doreyna's hand in hers. "What is it that has my dear aunt in such a tizzy?"

"She's here, Kellan. Your daughter. Raina is here."

Kellen expelled a shuddered breath and wiped away the tears now pouring down her cheeks. "I knew it. I sensed a presence this morning, which I thought might be her."

Doreyna was both surprised and pleased. "Your bond with her remains strong after all these years?"

"Of course. She's my daughter and she's never left my heart. You know her birthday was not long ago. She should be twenty-eight, but I'm not even sure how old she is." She turned to look at her aunt for the first time. "What does she look like?"

She smiled warmly. "You. She has your looks exactly, except for her hair and eyes. They changed that about her. She now has green eyes and brown hair and she's quite beautiful, like her mother. There is more."

"More?"

"She's pregnant, Kellan."

Her hand flew to her mouth as she gasped. "A baby...that must explain why her presence came across so strongly. Is she with someone?"

"Yes, her husband. And if I do say so, he's one of the most gorgeous men that these eyes have seen in years."

Kellan laughed. "Aunt Dory!"

"What child? Do you think because I'm old that I cannot appreciate a good looking man when I see one?"

"First, you are not old. You surprised me, that is all. Tell me about my daughter's husband."

"First of all, she is a tall woman and he's even more so. I can't tell you what color hair he has because he keeps his head shaven, which might I say is most becoming on him. His skin appears lightly tanned, almost caramel in color, but I believe it's natural. He has dark brown eyes that took in everything around him. There wasn't a moment that I didn't feel him watching me."

"Did he say anything?"

"No. She did all of the talking."

"Why were they in your store?"

"She has a jewelry box with Todeyan pieces and a set of relic Todeyan wedding rings. The kind that were made for our people. They used them and they now bear the marks of the rings."