Nightmares

Jack had just returned from shopping and dropped her purchases in her room. She changed into a new tank top and boxers and stretched in front of the mirror, making sure the fabric wasn't tugging in the wrong places.

She sighed, "Oh, this feels soooo much better." Sniffing, she caught the scent of the clothing and brought the tank top's material up to her nose. "Hey, they smell like my new perfume. Wonder if he'll notice."

She put the larger clothes in the laundry basket to be washed since they were reserved mostly for when she went out. They would be leaving soon, and she wouldn't need them while on the ship. Here,  she wore what she liked. She then picked up his new pants, silk boxers, and socks and brought them to his room before taking their food to the galley.

"Riddick! Food!" she yelled.

She fixed them both a plate of the Chinese take-out and sat down to eat. He walked through the door a minute later, stopped in his tracks, wrinkled his nose, then sat down to eat. He took a few bites and audibly sniffed the air.

That ain't the food. Spices...flowers...some kind of wood?

He leaned closer to her and sniffed again. "Jack? What the hell is that smell?"

His comment unexpectedly stung and she immediately became defensive. "Why?"

He looked at her weird, as though she was alien, shoveled a forkful of food in his mouth and shook his head.

Jack glared at him...waiting, but grew angry and annoyed at his lack of response. "Riddick, I asked you a question."

"Wasn't aware I had ta fuckin' answer," he grumbled.

They had their share of arguments in the time they'd traveled together, but never had she felt genuinely hurt like she did now and that pissed her off. He had insulted her new perfume and then wouldn't answer her question, instead turning his attention back down to his plate, effectively dismissing her. Riddick then reached for where his drink should have been and got a handful of air.

"Hey, gimme me a beer will ya?"

Prick! She stood up and grabbed her plate and drink. "Get off your lazy ass and get it yourself!" she spat, and then stormed out of the room.

"Jack!" He watched her leave, stunned and oblivious of the effect his words had on her. "What the fuck did I say?"

Awareness hit him less than a minute later. He sat back in his chair and groaned. "Dammit! Perfume! She was wearing perfume and I just acted like it stank!"

He quickly finished his dinner and went to find her, which wasn't hard. All he needed to do was follow the blaring music. Her door was ajar and he peeked in. She was lying on her bed busily sketching something on her tablet computer. Try not to fuck this up, he told himself. She's already pissed. No idea what to say to her. He opened the door and leaned against the frame, smelling the perfume again. It was stronger this time. Taking a moment, he realized that the scent fit her well. When she didn't look up, he started to speak.

"Look-."

"If I had wanted your company," she bit out, "I would've stayed in the galley."

"Jack..." He didn't quite know how to start.

"We all know that's my name. If that's all you came to tell me then you can get the hell out of my room."

Aggravation set in. Why does she have to be such a stubborn shit? He took a few steps in the room and sat on the edge of her bed. "Dammit, you're not making this fuckin' easy!"

She rolled her eyes. "Making what not easy on you? How NOT to be a royal dick?"

"Jack!" He gave her his warning look and she glared at him and put her tablet down crossing her arms over her chest. "Look, that didn't come out right what I said in there..."