PART 35.

SAM POV:
She cries into my shoulder, once her wrists are free all of her weight falls on me, Natasha speaks “What should I do with this man?” Angel and I both look to the unconscious man at her feet “Kill him.” Natasha and Angel stare at each other for a few seconds before Natasha nods “You get out of here first.” I look to Angel “Jump.” She wraps her legs around my waist, I then walk out of the room, Thor guiding us along, as we pass the other Avengers they all look on wide-eyed. On the quinjet she refuses to let go of me, no one speaks.

As soon as we're at the tower the others walk into the living room where Fury, Steve and Bucky are, they stand as they enter. I'm giving Angel a piggyback because it's the easiest way to hold her in this condition and she's too weak to walk by herself, they smile as the pair of us come into view, but when they see her state their smiles disappear. I keep walking to the infirmary, Bruce follows us, I hear quiet talking behind us but ignore it. When I place Angel down in the bed I notice the stubs left over from the wings have disappeared into her skin, her back is bloody and has two long scars I hadn't seen before, they're usually hidden by clothes but this top is ripped where her wings tore through.

My poor Angel, she shouldn't have had to suffer like this.

I stay with her as Bruce checks her over, she downs a glass of water and I carry her to her room, once there I make sure everything she needs is in the bathroom and help her inside. As I wait for her to shower I find her some comfy clothes, put them by her door and sit of the end of her bed as I wait. Her shower is long, but she needs it, when she comes out and collects the clothes I take note of how much healthier she already looks, when she comes back out dressed she sits beside me. She grabs my hand, for a few minutes we just sit there with her leaning on my shoulder, then she breaks the silence, speaking for the first time since leaving HYDRA “Thank you for saving me.”

We weren't quick enough, you still suffered greatly.

I open her mouth to speak and she covers it with her hand “Don't you dare.” She keeps her hand over my mouth until I nod, agreeing to not apologise, she then kisses me “I think I love you, Sam.” I smile “Good, because I love you.” We kiss again, then I stand “Come on, let's get some food in you.” It takes a while for Angel to adjust, but with her friends around, it's much smoother.