Chapter 23

~Rudo~

I had been in the office for the entire day, working on a new design. Bethany walked in,

"Hey Ru." She sat herself down onto my table. I kept my head down, still working on my design,

"Hey." I mumbled.

"So do you need any assistance right now?" She asked, swinging her legs.

"No I'm good."

"Ok, cool."

I put my pencil down,

"Can I tell you something? As a friend not your boss."

"Hit me." She pushed herself off of the table.

I started smiling, "Well, remember that guy I told you about?"

"The one in the band? Yeah."

"I went on a date with him a couple weeks ago and we made it official." I stood up, barely able to contain my excitement. Bethany didn't seem too happy. "Beth? You know who I'm talking about right?"

"Huh? Yeah, yeah." She seemed deep in thought.

"You aren't happy for me?"

"No, no I am it's just..."

"Just what?"

"I need to know all the details." She smiled weakly. From years of training I could tell there was something on her mind.

"Beth what's wrong?" I held onto her forearms.

"There's nothing wrong." She wouldn't look at me.

"C'mon, don't lie to me. We're best friends."

"I'm just a little sad that's all." She said through her teeth.

"Are you...jealous?" I asked.

"What? No!" Her voice went up an octave, so she was jealous.

"I know you're lying. Why?"

She sighed and took a seat on my office couch,

"It's just, do you ever think I'll find love?"

"Of course! You are the most lovable person I know." I crouched down to her level.

She chuckled, "You know, back in Uni everyone had a crush on you." She had started picking at a loose thread.

"That's not true."

"It is!"

"Beth c'mon, you are beautiful, talented and have a great personality. Everyone back in Uni wanted to be with you."

She scoffed.

"Bethany. Where is this coming from? What did I do?"

"Nothing, it's all in my head." She stood up wiping underneath her eyes.

"Beth wait."

She turned around.

"If there's something I did then I am truly, very sorry. Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

'You are fine. Forget about it." She walked over and put her arms around me, "I am so happy for you and... Zion." She shuddered. "Oh, to make life easier I'm going to need his number." She sniffled.

"Why?"

"So I can put it in the office phone."

"Ok." I was a bit skeptical, but she was my best friend. I had to trust her. I scribbled it down quickly onto a little post-it note. "Here." I handed it to her. She grabbed it from my hands and shoved it into her pocket.