Chapter 1

He was aware that he was starring but it was on purpose. The man standing across the table started to shift in his position as he began to speak.

" Your being impossible Andrew ", he stated as if i didn't know it myself. " If i agree to this deal i am going to lose almost 60% of my shares in the company, my position, hundreds of millions maybe a billion...

" If you don't agree you are going to bankrupt within the next six to eight months. You are well aware of that so don't waste my time any longer Henry ". 

" I have to think about it ", he said slightly defeated.

" My offer will be on the table for an hour ", i replied already knowing the answer.

  When i got into the elevator Mark followed me looking dead serious.

" It's his great grandfather's business. Stop being such an asshole ".

  " I ' ll try ", i murmured ironically between my teeth. He was my best friend, more like a brother to me and i knew he was right at the moment.

  " I will go back upstairs to make some phonecalls. Max also called and cancelled dinner. He is going back to Athens in an hour. Eleanor called last night. Her parents finally agreed to the wedding. They are getting engaged within the next month or so ".

  " Ok ". I was actually really happy for him. They were in love since forever and now the time had finally arrived.

  " Just call to congratulate you fucking asshole. Ok ", he sighed as he exited the elevator mimicking my emotionless tone.

   I stepped outside the building walking slowly. Surprisingly, it didn't rain. I wanted to grab some coffee even though i enjoyed greek coffee more than anything. I needed to clear my head. We were negotiating with the Emerson family, one of the most powerful families in northern Europe for a long time now and i wanted to make sure i would seal the deal today. I worked my ass for it.

   I was just twenty one when my parents died. Car crash. They were on their way back home from a big charity event. It was New Year's Eve. A drunk driver jumped in front of their car. The driver tried to avoid the other car but it was impossible. The driver  and my mother were fatally injured and died instantly.  My father underwent a difficult surgery but he also died before i reached the airport. At the time i was back in Munich. I spent most of my time there the last year.  My father was German and my mother was from Greece. We moved in Athens when i was almost 15. I didn't speak greek at all and the transition was going to be difficult. More difficult though was my grandfather. He was giving my mother a hard time and my father decided to take charge of my mother's family business. He was always welcome in Athens. Now,  after all i was one of the wealthiest bachelors in Europe.

   Thinking about the ship fleet that i was going to be added in mine and all the things that could go wrong i reached Starbucks, went inside and ordered a double espresso. I sat on the counter and tried to read the newspaper in front of me. The thought that Max and Eleanor were getting married was still on my mind all this time, but i was trying to ignore it. Eleanor was her cousin and best friend. When i saw her she always reminded me of her. She was hard to ignore too. 

   Suddenly my thoughts traveled way back. More than ten years ago. I had been in Athens for almost two years. My father was so busy with his new position at my grandfather's business but mom and a tutor were trying hard in order i got used to greek. My grandfather back in Germany wouldn't allow greek at home so it was all new to me. When i got bored i decided to finish highschool in a private school and not at home. Mom was thrilled. I already knew a guy who lived across the street. Mark was my age and we often played basketball together. I had also seen a couple of times his girlfriend Cassandra and that summed up all my social interaction.  I often traveled to Munich to see my family there and my old friends. One of them was Max.

   When the school bus came around the corner i felt nervous. Mark beside me was smiling observing my nerves ready to crack. He got first to the bus, greeted some friends who all yelled and cursed in greek. I found an empty seat at the back trying not to wake up the girl next to me. I was sitting there silent while others laughed or others were still asleep in their seats when the girl shifted at her position. We reached school and she finally opened her eyes. Their almond shape and blue sky colour never left my mind since. " Oh for fucks sake Andrew, thought ".  "Its been years. Stop it".

   Trying to avoid all the these memories  coming back i checked my phone only to realise that i had to go back to get my answer. Stepping out of Starbucks in a hurry someone blocked my way. She seemed lost as she was nervously kneeled to collect her staff. Her bag had opened on the sidewalk. She gave me back my phone and only when she turned to me and murmured a simple " i'm sorry" i saw her face. Ready to ignore the woman and go on suddenly i froze in my spot.