Chapter 8

Flashback

   My parents met at an annual charity thing. It was a hot summer and Elena, my mom told me that she was wearing a light blue dress and short heels. My dad talked to her as she was staring the sea almost next to him and that was it. They got married two years later. My mother was pregnant but she lost the baby two months after the wedding. They tried again and again but she suffered one miscarriage after another.

  I was born almost five years after their wedding. They were thrilled but never talked about having another child. My dad was way too scared. Growing up as an only rich child someone could easily say i was spoiled but my parents were people with reason. Even though they rarely said no to me and i was the least daddy's little princess they taught me to be humble and that wealth wasn't something that could make me a complete person.

  When my dad realised i had my first boyfriend he interrogated me with his serious look and voice demanding to know everything. At 15 i was being a difficult teenager hating social events, parties and guys of my "circle". I found them arrogant, selfish and mamas boys. Most of them did drugs every day at school or parties and fucked another classmate every week.

  Not all of them. Mark dated Cassandra, my best friend. He was actually a very good and funny guy who kept a very low profile at school. He had a couple of friends and it was bothering me that the last two years he seemed so close with the new guy. He was half German, half Greek, speaking only if he didn't seem to have another choice. There were times that his gaze made me feel uncomfortable so i didn't like hanging out with him a lot. Unfortunately Cassandra, Mark and Eleanor were my only confidants so i had put up with his mood.

   Also, my then boyfriend Alex was jealous of him something that made our friendship difficult. I was two years younger than Andrew but he continued to study in Athens after he finished highschool to much Alex's disappointment.  I was certain that he was going back to Munich but when Mark happily told me that they will be attending the same university starting from fall i asked Andrew surprised why he wanted to stay in Greece.

  " I really like the weather ", he replied slightly smiling and my heart skipped a beat. They way he said it or maybe something in his eyes told me that even if it was raining every day he was still gonna stay here. Bothered i avoided much further contact with him ever since.

             8 and a half years ago

  I remembered i was head over heals with Alex at the time. He was like a greek good a year senior than me. Dangerous, passionate, handsome, adventurous. He was like life himself. We were together for three years when his motorbike fell of a cliff near Sounio. He tried to avoid a truck but he ended up at the bottom of the sea. I was waiting for him in a cafeteria but when he didn't show up i started to get worried. I knew he was coming all the way from his parents summer house in Sounio, but he should be here by then. When Cassandra called i picked up knowing that something had happened, i felt it.

  I didn't go out all summer. My father worked all day. The company was in trouble. Nothing to worry as he said. My mother was checking on me every ten minutes. She thought that i was going to suicide so in late July they made me pack my staff and and follow Mark, Cassandra, Eleanor, Andrew and his friend Max on vacation. Andrew's father gave him a yacht as a present for his 20th birthday so we were going on a cruise to the greek islands for next three maybe four weeks.

  In the first week everybody behaved strangely. Mark had a huge fight with Cassandra. She never told me the reason. Eleanor broke up with her boyfriend but my aunt and uncle heavily disapproved her decision. Her boyfriend's family was on of the richest in Greece and most powerful. Max on the other hand even though he wanted to get even closer with her, he stayed with Andrew most of the time speaking in German. Having a yacht as a birthday present seemed like a good reason to make you smile but he was more serious than ever.