Chapter 2

Song: "We Never Change" by Coldplay

After leaving the underground I mentally calculated how much time I had left to finish my delivery. I had three hours to get to the overpopulated area of-basically- downtown Wall Rose, and past the checkpoint. Which would be overrun with military police out for my blood.

The 3DMG was strapped tightly onto my body, and the gas tanks dug painfully into my side as the galloping of my horse pushed my body forward.

I stroked the horses mane softly and thought carefully about how exactly I'd execute this plan.

I had a few hours before I'd get to the main part of the city.

Once I reached the checkpoint I'd have to leave my horse in an available stable.

The 3DMG was hidden under my black cloak so I could walk freely along the streets, as long as I kept my face hidden. I had a long gold chain hanging down my chest, which would give the people on the street the illusion I was just another pathetic Wall worshipper.

Getting over the checkpoint wall would be easy, as long as the roof was free of Stationary Guards.

Which wasn't usually a problem, most of the guards didn't take their jobs seriously anyway.

I gently kicked my horses side, urging it to go faster, he easily complied.

"Nice and steady, Major," I cooed, "nice and steady."

I sighed, and rubbed his neck softly.

After I'd healed from my wound I searched everywhere for the man who'd destroyed my life, who'd inevitably changed my future.

A part of me realized that his actions were justifiable, he wasn't intentionally trying to completely destroy my life. He had done what he had to protect himself. And the people he cared about, whoever they were...

But I didn't care.

I was a damn good criminal, one of the best, and the posters set up inside the walls didn't lie. Yet even I hadn't sold anyone out. Not technically anyway.

I'd searched the streets asking around in the underground about a short teen with a "stick-up-the-ass" expression permanently etched onto his face.

Nobody could give me an answer for no one knew whom I was speaking of.

I searched everywhere but no one could identify whom I was speaking of.

A year later, there was a party an influential member of the government was throwing, it was to be a party of nobles and odd costumes and masks. A masquerade. The invites filling the streets, spreading like hay fire.

A job had led me there. My name on an imaginary paycheck willing me to attend.

After making money on a few delivery jobs I had made my way to a dress market. Silk, cotton, and velvet filled my vision as I had pushed open the door.

Madam Lavelia's Dress Shop.

I knew the owner personally, Ms. Lavelia had been a longtime friend of my deceased mother. She was the one person other than myself that I could trust.

The fact that she was in her mid-seventies also helped that situation.

As my eyes came in focus with the old woman behind the decorated wooden counter with symbols and intricate designs etched into the wood, I smiled.

"Ms. Lavelia." I greeted, and she met my eyes, a smile slowly pulling at her lips.

"Alexandria, my, you've grown, and your hair, the color is different, no?" She complimented as she examined me.