38. the debrief

RINGO'S APARTMENT WAS CLOSE TO MAX'S HOUSE, THEY HAD DISCOVERED

Steve drove each of the pre-teens except Max home, before heading towards the location where he left his own car to pick it up. The idea was for Ringo to take Steve's car until Billy's was returned to the Hargrove residence, but one glance at his vehicle and Steve was disagreeing. He just couldn't, and wouldn't, risk his car. Girlfriend, or not.

So he followed behind Billy's flashy sports car while Ringo drove, a reasonable distance behind in case she suddenly braked. Max smirked watching the reflected headlights in the rear view mirror.

"He really doesn't trust your driving, does he?" She asked in amusement. Ringo rolled her eyes playfully, but understood there was probably a good reason behind that.

When finally they arrived at her house, a dark figure could be seen spread out across the grass. Max and Ringo chuckled at the sight, Jessica wasn't kidding when she said she'd dump him on the front lawn.

"Hey," Ringo called to get the girl's attention before she left, "if he gives you any shit you call me, okay?"

"Thanks, but I think I can handle him now," Max smiled with appreciation. "I'll let you know if he's ever beating up your boyfriend again."

"Good!" She grinned, watching as Max reached for the door handle. "Oh, wait!"

"Yeah?" Max leaned down slightly to look back in, having already stepped out of the car.

"We do this thing... the kids and, well everyone really. We call it Wheeler Family Fridays but literally everyone comes. We just watch movies in the basement and play games. And as a Wheeler, and the best one at that, I'm officially extending that invitation to you."

Max tried to play it cool, but her cheeks indented with how hard she concealed her grin. Eventually she broke and positively beamed, nodding her head in acceptance before finally closing the door just as Ringo reversed into the parking space.

Steve was parked further down the street, waiting for her to give her a ride home. When she got inside, he waited for a second until her seat belt was fastened before veering off.

"So," he began, "as far as dates go, I would say that went swimmingly."

"Well you know what they say," she nodded, "take him monster-hunting on the first date to see if he's a wuss bag." 

"Wuss bag?" Steve echoed, grinning with humour. "That hurt my feelings."

"Okay Mr 'OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD'," she mimicked his high pitched, panicked voice from their escapades in the tunnel.