◦ s i x t e e n ◦

Happy birthday to my good friend, Ava, I hope you have the time of your life today. - lyss.

"Okay well what about best two out of three?" Dakota gasps as we reach the picnic blanket, his hands on his knees

I have to admit, I'm a bit winded as well. The distance from here to the pond is larger than I anticipated and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't impressive that Dakota made it there so fast the first time with me in tow.

"No." I deadpan, standing straight as water drips from my clothing, my jeans shorts feeling heavy. "I won fair and square."

"You did not." He rolls his eyes, "You got a head start."

"So?" I laugh, squeezing the liquid from my shirt, the cold water hitting my foot. "I still won."

He sigh before his hands cross and grasp the end of his shirt, pulling it over his head and twisting it in his hands. "Fine. But, since you won, you have to read me some of that poetry." I open my mouth to argue it he stops me, "It'll be my birthday present." He smiles innocently.

My face falls and I huff, half of my hair sticking to my back uncomfortably. "Okay fine. But I'm hungry so let's eat first."

"Couldn't have said it better myself." He winks, leaning down and taking everything out of the basket once again. This time two small towels emerge from it. I recognize them as the white material I spotted earlier.

"You planned to throw me in the water?" I ask him, my mouth agape as I watch him rub the water from his hair.

He looks at me sideways, his head bent as he dries off. "No, actually." His chuckling lightens my expression, "I have one of Sam's suits in there for you but I figured just jumping in there with you would be more entertaining."

"You're despicable." I shake my head, grabbing the other towel from his grasps and wrapping it around myself.

"So you've told me." He winks before looking down, using the towel to squeeze the legs of his Nike shorts.

I look away from him, my face burning when I realize what he's referring to. Back in the elevator when all he did was infuriate me, though not much he changed since then, he tried to kiss me being his stupid self. I find it funny to look back on now even though it's only been one week.

"Ready to eat?" He asks me, gaining my attention. I nod in response, sitting down atop the towel and praying the sun will dry me soon.

I grab a sandwich, unwrapping it and taking a bite. My stomach growls hungrily as I take another chunk from it. "So," I begin, swallowing. "What do your parents do?" I ask him.

Dakota shrugs, chewing at his own sandwich. "My dad is a professor at the community college part time but he also writes a ton of theological novels and all that. He's helped with a few of the college's text books as well." He tells me, taking another bite.