⃘ t w e n t y - f o u r ⃘

The rest of my shift is spent in almost complete silence as I organize shelves and listen to Sam tell me about a family vacation where Dakota got pushed into a pool by a girl he was hitting on and about how one time he stuck his finger in an elect...

The rest of my shift is spent in almost complete silence as I organize shelves and listen to Sam tell me about a family vacation where Dakota got pushed into a pool by a girl he was hitting on and about how one time he stuck his finger in an electrical outlet and got electrocuted as a baby. I'm guessing it's to cheer me up and, though her stories do make me laugh and she's a great story teller, I can't help but remain sad.

Sam and I eat bagel sandwiches filled with the works for lunch together which only makes me feel more forlorn. Amelia informed us that Mr. Ward is willing to transfer all of the employees to the bagel store since he's relocating it but I don't think it would be the same. I've never wanted to work in that section of the store. It was never really my thing.

When noon rolls around and it's time for me to go, I curse myself for forgetting to text my dad and ask him to drop off my bike or to tell him I'm getting off early. I sigh staring down at my phone.

"You okay?" Sam asks me through a mouthful of bagel.

"Yeah." I nod. "I just don't have a ride home so I'm going to have to walk. It won't take that long but it's going to be so freaking hot." I whine, hanging my head back.

"Call Dakota. He's not doing anything today." She snorts. "Then again, he never does anything."

I laugh at this, my face falling as I look at her concerned expression. "Don't look at me like that."

"Look at you like what?" She asks me.

"Like I'm going to burst into tears at any moment." I smile softly, picking at the seeds on my bagel sandwich.

Sam rolls her eyes, opening her bottle of orange juice and taking a swig. "I'm not. Sure, I feel bad for you that Books and Bagels is closing but I know you'll be fine."

"Good." I chuckle, taking her bottle of orange juice and taking a drink, earning an annoyed look from her.

"Give me that." She snatches it away from me. "Speaking of being fine, Dakota has actually been crazy lately."

"What does that have to do with being fine?" I ask her with a confused expression as I bite into my sandwich.

"It's doesn't." She shrugs, "I just wanted to talk bad about Dakota. Winter doesn't let me."

"Well feel free because that guy is one crazy cookie." I chuckle, sipping my bottle of water as she laughs at me.

"Finally someone who understands my pain." She tells me, pulling out her own phone before pressing it to her cheek and waiting.

"What are you doing?" I ask suspiciously.

"Shush." She says sternly before saying into phone, "Hey it's me. What are you doing right now? - Okay well could you come and pick up Lillian from work? She got off early today. - What? No, I'm not saying that. - Because, I'm just not. That's stupid." She argues in annoyance.