Chapter 4

Alex POV

I stared at his retreated figure helplessly.

Did that just happen?

Thousands and millions of questions flowed through my mind but most importantly was.

This stranger came in right into the scene and saved me. But why?

Why? Why would he help like that? He saw them. He saw my freak eyes! I could tell from the way he looked at me. It was obvious.

Then again Why?

These thoughts were killing me as each second passed. I stood there in the middle of the hallways, willing myself to move, but my body refusing to. I was still bound. The hallways were empty indicating that classes have already started and I was still stuck.

After what felt like an eternity, my body finally felt lighter and I began running back to my class. Or maybe I was running from something entirely else. Something I refused to acknowledge right now as I ran away from everything and everyone.

I just wanted to vanish.

The day went by a blur. It consisted of:

1-Some people calling me names, the ones that were loyal to the barbie girl.

2- Others avoiding any eye contact with me at any cost.

3-And the lowest rate as those that didn't seem to mind a flying fuck about what was happening.

So right now I was sitting on a table in the corner of the lunchroom trying to block all the voices around me as I tried to eat my lunch peacefully. Guess what? I failed miserably to do that only one task. So I pushed my tray of food aside. It wasn't like I would have eaten it anyway. My mind was preoccupied with that mysterious guy that I couldn't concentrate on Calculus, my favorite subject.

What would happen now? He found out. He saw my eyes that not only could change into red but also to other colors. Would he treat me like some kind of experiment? Like some kind of an abnormal phenomenon? Worse, would he call the authorities?

I was always wanted, not in jail or in some kind of prison. There was a special team that the authorities assigned about my case. It was a team of scientists and some FBI's. They were the ones that took care of me after being born. The hospital found it insane that a baby's eyes could change color from hazel to all of the colors. So they reported me to authorities and that was when my team was assigned. I was taken from my mother's arms and placed in a lab where they experimented on me.

They didn't take me by force. In fact, my mother was more than glad to get rid of her monster so-called baby. They gave her money and made a contract that when it was time for me to go to school they would return me to my parents.

I didn't remember any of this of course. I was a baby. However, I saw the legal papers at home. I saw a tape where a scientist was experimenting on me, using me as his guinea pig. I saw a tape where my sorry excuse for a mother and father sold me to a lab.

They sold their only child to a lab. I could have died, but they never cared. They were glad to get rid of me indeed.

It was true that the contract was overdue. However, when my parents died the team selected for my case, ECE, was an abbreviation for Experiment Colorful Eyes, needed me back. They used the sorry excuse that I was still underage to live alone.

So I ran. I changed cities every once in a while. I tried to dye my hair but it never worked. It was like I was placing water on my hair, not dye. I tried eye contacts but when I got them near my eyes they burnt. It was weird and bizarre that many nights of my life were spent crying alone in the bathroom.

I loathed myself.

I could never have an ordinary life. I just moved into this city. I can't move to another. I can't afford it. I didn't have enough money. My only income was illegal underground fighting.

At least it was better than other illegal ways to get money.

I would move out of this city after a few months, but first I needed to make sure that queen bitch Kaitlyn, obedient dog Makayla, blondie typical jock, and mystery guy won't go around spouting nonsense. Till now, no one seemed to believe Kaitlyn. Even though I hated to admit it, it was all thanks to that hot mysterious guy.

Great, now I owe him.

I hated owing to people. I didn't need him to want something from me.

That was how I spent the rest of my lunchroom, trying to convince myself that I didn't owe him, that I didn't need him, that I could have handled it absolutely well-

Yeah right!

My ugly conscience decided to butt in. I had this strong urge to just slam my head on the table, but I refrained. That would only make me look creepier.

As if I needed that.

I looked around, bored out of my mind. While doing so, I caught the eye of mystery guy. He was staring at me.

My mouth went dry. His gaze pierced through my soul and nearly busted all of my secrets. It made me quite uncomfortable that I wanted it to squirm in my place. However, I masked it as I put on my neutral face and glared back. Abruptly, I saw the ghost of a smirk on his face as he turned away and pretended that this staring contest did not even happen.

Damn him!

Kaitlyn and her minions were giggling and joking. I could practically hear what they were talking about. Boys, gossip, and fashion. For a moment I wished I was like that. I wished that I had friends that I could talk with about my biggest problems. I desired that my biggest problems would be just like them, boys, gossip, and fashion. I yearned not to have to turn around every fucking ten seconds just to see if there was ECE behind me. I hoped not to change cities every three or four months. I craved for many things.

But none of them will ever happen.

Yeah, none of them will ever happen. It was impossible.

After a few seconds, the bell rang, I sighed and got up to head to my second class, Literature. I made up my mind. I have to meet with mystery guy to test whether he would talk or not.

I'll make sure he does the latter.