Chapter 19: On The Way

The four friends darted down the hallway, attempting to follow the breeze. Max, being the quickest when excluding Cory and Sky, was in front of the others. To everyone's surprise, he suddenly skidded to a stop without warning. Since Shelby wasn't far behind him, it took a lot of effort to stop in time and even then she still bumped into him. After the two of them regained their balance, the others realised why Max had stopped. The wind that they had been following had stopped and they were at a crossroad.

The red-headed girl frantically looked both ways, flicking her head side to side. As the others ran up beside them Max quietly cursed under his breath.
"Max and Shelby go left, I'll take Ross and go right." Aphmau confidently commanded and, before anyone could object, grabbed Ross' arm and sprinted down the corridor. Shelby and Max shared a glance before nodding and running off.

The halls were empty due to it being past the curfew. Since the whole facility and experiments were illegal, the workers didn't want anybody to hear anything. The entire building was sound-proof but just to make sure, no hybrids were allowed to be wandering the halls past 10:30 pm. The facility wasn't massive, about the size of a big school, so half an hour before the curfew, all hybrids were instructed to retreat to their respective rooms. Being aware of this, the group had decided that this would be the perfect time to put their plan in action. This strategy also enabled a backup plan, if they ended up being caught then hopefully they could make enough noise for someone from outside to be alerted.

After a couple of minutes of just running around desperately, trying to find the boys, Ross and Aphmau heard a loud scream. The voice was low-pitched, definitely a boy, specifically a boy that they recognised as Cory. The sound was immediately muffled by something unknown, though it was there long enough to at least give them some clue of where to go. The pair skidded around the corner rapidly and ran faster, almost tripping a couple of times because of their speed. They were no longer even making an attempt to be quiet as their shoes slapped against the grey, vinyl tile flooring, the noise echoing through the hallways.

Max and Shelby made an abrupt stop as they heard the faint scream echoing in the distance, their eyes widening in panic and unable to decide what to focus on. The two glanced at each other and swiftly spun around before sprinting off. Shelby and Max were the faster types of hybrids, meaning that they should have been able to catch up with Aphmau and Ross pretty quickly, but this wasn't the case. The other two had already gotten too far for them to catch up easily. Knowing that the speed they were going wasn't going to help much, Max gripped his friend's wrist and began running faster. This only helped them speed up a little but they both agreed that was better than nothing.

Sorry guys, this chapter is a little shorter than normal :( I couldn't think of anything and I didn't want to just put something random to stretch it out. Hope you enjoyed anyway though! Have a great day :)