Chapter 11: A Masked Secret

Max's POV:

After half a day of just talking and laughing under the tree, we decided to head back to our 'room'. Didn't want to be caught missing if any of the workers came in. Ross had fallen asleep while we were there so I carried him on my back. We timed our return pretty good. Classes had just ended for the day, so we were able to just blend in with the crowd. A downside to this was that we did end up getting split up quite a few times but it wasn't that bad. We all knew our way around the facility so  it was easy to get back.

The Next Day...

Ross' POV:

I let my eyelids open to find myself staring at the plain grey ceiling. I pushed my self up to a sitting position and looked around. We were back in our room. I stood up and jumped down from my ledge with a slight thud as I collided with the floor. I was the first to wake up so it was almost silent. I had to find a way to entertain myself for a bit while I waited for someone else to wake up.

As I gazed around the room, looking for something to do, my vision fixed on a rock on the ground. I crouched down and picked it up, turning it around in my hand to examine it. I sat on the ground and scraped it along the dark stone floor, watching as it left a faint white line behind. It wasn't very visible so I just threw the rock aside.

Being bored out of my mind I let myself fall backwards, laying down with my arms spread out to the sides and just waited for someone else to wake up.

About 20 minutes later...

Cory's POV:

I opened my eyes and sat up. I quickly put a hand on my forehead, the other on the floor (well the floor of my ledge) to stable myself. I went dizzy from sitting up to quickly. I shook my head side-to-side swiftly to get rid of the feeling.

When it went away and I could actually see, I swung my legs over the side of my ledge, held onto the edges and swung my legs as I gazed around the room. Ross was laying on the ground with his arms and legs spread out, in a kind of star shape, everyone else was still sleeping. I smirked sub-consciously as I realised I was awake earlier than Sky again.
"Cory?" I jumped slightly as the boy appeared in front of me. Not realising I had forgotten to put my mask on I stared him straight in the eyes, breathing pretty heavily because of the scare...

At least I didn't realise until he almost screamed. I covered his mouth just in time and shushed him, frantically looking around the room to see if anyone had woken up.
"Who are you? Where's Cory?" He asked, I couldn't tell if he was mad or just worried. Or both.
"Ross it's me..." I looked at him as if it were obvious, even though I knew it probably wasn't. He gasped, making me think he would listen to me.
"YOU STOLE HIS VOICE TO!" The squirrel hybrid whisper-yelled. I mentally face-palmed myself.
"Ok Ross li-"
"I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!! WHERE IS CORY?! WHAT DID YO-" I covered his mouth again to shut him up. He wasn't being loud, he was actually being pretty quiet so he wouldn't wake up the others, he just wouldn't shut up so I could explain what was happening.

When I covered his mouth he noticed that I wanted to talk and nodded, signalling to me that he was listening. I moved my palm away and helped him up to sit on my ledge.

"Ok let's get one thing straight. I am Cory ok?" I watched as Ross nodded.
"But where's your.... umm..." Not knowing whether to say camera, face or lens, he just pointed to his face. I laughed quietly at his hesitation. "I didn't want to offend you ok?" He averted his eyes and pouted slightly at my laughter.
"Ross it's not going to offend me. If it's that confusing just say other face or mask."
"Wait so why do you have to wear a mask?" Ross questioned, still in a quiet voice.
"I was sort of born with this power to create illusions for others. I'm not allowed to use it because of the guards here. It's infused with magic so other magic can't pass through it. They make me wear it so I can't use my powers AND nobody can tell it's actually a mask. They also made sure that it can't be broken by hand, which is annoying..." I explained as briefly as I could. Ross, once again, only nodded.
"Does the magic come from your left eye by any chance?" Ross asked, gesturing to my eye. It was a glowing azure blue colour, while the other was just a plain blue eye.
"How did you guess? " I answered with a sarcastic smirk.

"Do you want me to keep it a secret?" The squirrel rested his chin on his hand and his elbow on his knee.
"There's honestly no point now because SOMEONE'S  LISTENING TO OUR CONVERSATION ANYWAY. SKY." I faced Ross but turned to Sky as I said his name. He had been pretending to sleep so he could listen in.
"GOD DANG IT!" Sky laughed. Ross joined in and jumped onto the ground, making a gun shape with his fingers.
"PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR!" He commanded, pretending to be a cop.

Third Person POV:

Sky stood up slowly and put his hands in the air. Ross had started making his way over to his friend
"AGENT PURPLE POTATO AND AGENT SNOWY PAWS! ESCAPE WITH THE INFORMATION!" Sky yelled and the trio heard a soft but quick set of footsteps. Cory and Ross turned their heads and saw the two girls running away. While they weren't looking, Sky made a run for it.
"CORY GET THEM!" Ross told his partner as he ran after the lion hybrid. Cory smiled, swiftly grabbed his mask and sprinted after the girls. And so started their little game of cops and robbers.

Sorry if this chapter sucked. I didn't have to many ideas and said I would get it up today sooo yeah...But hope you enjoyed anyway! :3