Chapter Six

I raised my hand and waved at the boy. "H-hi," I stammered, my voice echoing throughout the room. "M-my name is J-Jorgie Special."

The other kids snickered louder so I could hear them.

"What is the matter with you? Why are you stuttering so much?" one of the boys questioned, giving me a creepy grin. He was taller than me. "Is it that disease that you made up?"

"It is not a disease," I scolded, frowning. "It is a condition that I have, and I did not make it up!"

"Jorgie, you need to calm down," Ms. Dia said soothingly. "You should not listen to him." She placed her hands on her hips and glared at the boy who had taunted me. "Young man, you had better apologize, or I will kick you out."

"Pfft!" The boy shoved his hands in the pockets of his pants. "I am sorry...that you are a useless being!"

Everybody but me, the teacher, and the boy named Calvin laughed at his awful and mean joke. I sniffed and could feel myself tearing up. Why were they making fun of me? I was already suffering because of Tenomeya. Why were they treating me like an animal? Worse than an animal?

"Why do you not leave this place, this school, and rid the world of you and your disease?" a girl teased. She was as tall as me. "No one loves you."

I tried holding back the waterworks, but it was too late. That was the last straw. I felt the tears streaming down my face and wanted to run out of there and cry. And I would have done so...

...if not for Calvin.

"All of you! Stop it!" Calvin cried out with an angry tone.

The children looked at him and were surprised by his outburst. So were me and Ms. Dia.

Calvin had orange, short hair and wore glasses. He also wore a blue jacket, black pants, and black boots. I admit that he looked like a bad boy.

"Tenomeya is not contagious," he continued. "Nobody can catch it. It is like a disorder. Other than that, there is nothing wrong with her. She just wants to be normal for once. But you know what I think of normal? It stinks! We are all different and have our own problems! Our writer has asthma and anxiety problems, but that does not stop her from achieving her dreams. That goes for us and our fans. So why should Jorgie be any different? It is not her fault that she is stuck with a terrible condition. She did not ask for it, but there is a reason that she has it. To make her strong and help others show that they can do anything good if they put their minds to it."

The children glanced at one another, and then back at him.

"And do not think that I do not know what your problems are." He pointed at the boy who bullied me. "You have severe asthma." He pointed at the girl who said that I should die, even though that I cannot. "And you have a peanut allergy. Jorgie will have those two things and many more. So I suggest that you do not bully her..." He clenched a hand into a tight fist. "...or else."

The kids' bodies shook in fear, and they slowly backed away from him. Calvin pushed up his glasses and smiled at me. He strolled off the stage and over to me.

"I am sorry about them," he said. "They are arrogant fools who do not care about anyone but themselves."

I could feel my cheeks getting hot. But why was that?

Wait. Did I like him? Like...have a crush on him?

"Thank you, Calvin," Ms. Dia thanked him. She walked to the row of seats that was the closest to the stage and picked up two pieces of paper that were in a chair. She walked back to us and handed the papers to me and Calvin. "We will begin the auditions with you two."

My fingers twitched when she said that last part, and I stared at Calvin. Me? Go first? With...him?

"Will this be a problem, Jorgie?" he asked, as if he read my mind. "We do not need to audition together."

"N-no," I stammered once again. "I-I will audition with you." I overheard the kids snickering again and ignored them. Then I blushed as Calvin took my hand and led me up the stage.

Ms. Dia adjusted her glasses. "Go to page four and start with the first line. Calvin, you will be the prince, and Jorgie, you will be the princess."

Me? A princess? And Calvin? A prince?

Oh my.

Calvin and I were standing in the middle of the stage, and I realized that he was a few inches taller than me. We locked our eyes on our scripts and began.

"'Princess! I have awful news.'"

"'Really? What is it, my prince?'"

"'The intruders are inching towards your castle. What should we do?'"

"'I...do not know.'"

"'We must do something!'"

"'Need I remind you that I am the new princess. I do not know how to be one or what to do.'"

The prince was supposed to embrace the princess in a hug and dance with her. And then...kiss her.

Calvin hugged me and tossed his script to the side, and then grabbed ahold of my wrists and spun me around. His hair danced wildly, and he laughed.

When I heard his laughter, I began laughing too. I do not know why. I just felt...happy.

I soon spotted Ms. Dia standing by the stage and not smiling. She was frowning.

Why?

"Ah!" I screamed as I fell and hit the stage floor. "Ow."

"Are you alright?" Calvin asked.

"Y-yeah. J-just a bit sore."

I tried getting back up, but I could not.

I could not feel my legs.