Chapter Thirty-Six

Panicking, I tried my best to jerking away and setting my arm free, but the monster had a tight grip. It roared, causing me to scream again.

"Let go!" I cried. "Let me go!"

The monster snorted, letting puffs of smoke escape from its nostrils, and was pulling me in its direction.

"You heard the lady!" Calvin exclaimed angrily. He ran up to the monster and raised up his hand in a certain position that you usually use for karate.

Before the monster could do anything else, Calvin slid his hand down on the hand that had a hold of me...

...and sliced off the monster's hand.

The monster screeched and brought what was left of it, which was its arm, close to its chest, hugging it.

The hand that was still holding onto me soon let go and dropped to the floor. It made a faint sound as it came to contact with the floor, and the fingers twitched.

Calvin stepped in front of me and held out his arms, as if to protect me.

That was because he was protecting me. He was like my knight that was not in shining armor.

"Leave my love alone!" he threatened. "And leave us at once! And I promise that you will not lose an eyeball."

I placed my hands on his shoulders and peered over at the monster.

This monster was as enormous as a hippopotamus, possibly bigger, and scary-looking. He stood like a human being and had blue skin. His yellow eyeballs bulged out of their sockets, and his feet, sharp claws on his hands, and long and thin horns, were all black.

I shook in fear and whispered to Calvin. "W-what is that thing?"

He whispered back. "Remember that monster that Common Sense and I mentioned earlier?"

"Y-yes. B-but you said that it was just a normal guy who was in a costume."

"Do not forget that we are in one of your memories that is a nightmare." He motioned to the monster who was now showing us its sharp teeth that were pure white. "That is no costume."

The monster uttered a low growl and lowered its head towards us. I became even more frightened for my life as it roared loudly, making its drool come out of its mouth and hitting our faces.

Ew!

"Run!" Common Sense ordered. "The monster is certainly not a runner!"

Both of us took his advice, and Calvin grabbed my hand and led me away from the monster. Common Sense was right behind us.

I had a hunch that neither Calvin nor Common Sense would want me to look back, however, I did anyway...

...and wished that I had not.

The monster was not fast like we were, but it was indeed chasing us. It had an evil look plastered on its face.

Did it want to eat us? Or kill us? Or both?

I did not want to find out!

A few inches away and in front of the monster and also chasing us was the monster's hand!

The hand was alive and, using its thumb and fingers, scurried after us. Tap, tap, tap! went the hand as the ends of the claws hit the floor.

Tap! Tap! Tap!

"Do not worry, Jorgie," Calvin reassured me. "I know how we can get rid of that monster."

We soon stopped near a store. It was a store that sold small guns, fishing equipment, swords, and other weapons and sports equipment.

"Stay here, you two," Calvin ordered me and Common Sense as he dashed into the store to search for something. Common Sense and I stayed out in the hall and wandered around.

"I do not know what he is up to," Common Sense admitted to me. "But he had better hurry!"

I nodded in agreement and suddenly noticed something from the corner of my eye. I screamed for
a third time when I realized what it was.

Boy, I need to stop screaming. I will lose my voice.

I pointed in the direction where the monster and hand were coming from. "Look! It is them!"

Common Sense noticed as soon as I told him and yelled to Calvin to get his bottom moving.

"Hurry it up in there! Or the monster will cook Jorgie and make her into a tasty sardine treat!"

"I am not going to be eaten!" I cried. "I will never be eaten! That is not how my story will end!"

We did not have to wait much longer for Calvin. He hurried out of the store...

...and was holding a sword.

"Here," he said, handing me the sword. "You will need this."

I was confused, wondering why he was giving me a sword, but took it anyway.

The sword was gray and shiny. It was very sharp and had a yellow handle.

I clutched the handle and held the sword in front of me. "What do you want me to do with this?"

"What else? Defeat the monster."

My eyes widened. "Huh?!"

Calvin gave me a reassuring smile. "When you saw the 'monster' at such a young age, you decided to stab it to death and went to the toy store. You got a toy sword and 'stabbed' the 'monster.' That is when the 'monster' revealed that he was only a man in a costume."

I was now understanding what he desired me to do. "So..."

"Stab that monster. Through its chest."

I could feel my legs beginning to quiver. "N-no...I cannot..."

I was interrupted by a roar that escaped from the monster's throat. The monster caught up to its hand and grabbed it. It put it back where it belonged, and black stitches appeared from its arm and attached the hand to where it once was. The monster tested its hand, bending the thumb and fingers, and then dashed over to me.

I shook and whimpered.

"I-I cannot stab it," I said quietly. "I am not strong enough..."