Chapter Seven

I was on my stomach and lying helplessly as the kids pointed fingers at me and cackled. I did my best to shut them and their laughters out of my mind and concentrate standing back on my feet. I placed my palms on the stage floor and lifted up my arms, grunting as I did so. I managed to get the upper part of my body off the ground and tried to feel for my legs.

But I could not. It was as if I did not have any legs or feet.

Calvin got down on his knees and put his hands on me, one on my left arm and one on my back.

"Are you sure that you are alright?" he whispered in my ear. "It looks like that you are having trouble getting back up."

I slowly nodded and whispered back so the children would not hear me and start mocking me. "I-I cannot...but...I-I do not know why."

"It is probably your Tenomeya acting up again." He let go of my arm and ran his fingers along one of my legs, and without realizing it, my teeth chattered.

I could not feel his own fingers touching my legs.

Calvin moved both of my legs up and down. Side to side. "Do you have a broken bone?"

"I-I do not k-know." I was really worried as to why I could not move or feel my legs and feet. "I-I cannot feel t-them."

"Cannot feel what?" I heard Ms. Dia say. "Your legs?"

"Y-yes...and my feet..."

"That is it. I am calling the hospital."

I noticed Ms. Dia hurrying to the chair that once contained papers before she gave them to me and Calvin and picked up a black purse by the handles. She opened it, reached in, and pulled out a cellphone. She set the purse back in the seat, dialed, and held the phone up to her ear.

"Hello? Is this the hospital? Good. Listen, there is an emergency. One of my students collapsed on the floor and claims that she cannot get back up because she cannot move her legs or feet. Where are we? At the school. Saint Michael's Achievement Classes."

Saint Michael's Achievement Classes is the name of our school in Forlot.

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly, relieved that the teacher was calling for help and that I would be assisted very soon. But the concern look on my face changed from a relieved one to a sad one when I overheard Ms. Dia.

"What makes you think that it is Jorgie Special? She is a regular at the hospital?"

I did not blame her for saying such a thing. And why should I when it is true?

Every doctor and nurse who works at the hospital knows who I am and about my rare condition. That is because I go to the hospital every day. Not every other day. Not almost every day. Every. Single. Dang. Day. And my primary doctor was Dr. O'Fallon.

And everyone in the world also knows who I am and about my rare disorder because of the stupid news that would not leave me alone.

Why could I not have a normal life?

Five minutes later - to me, it felt like seconds, for they arrived quickly - two men in dark blue suits ran into the drama room and onto the stage. They did not have to ask who was the person that was in trouble, for they were my regulars. The ones who always transferred me to the hospital if I could not get there myself.

"Hi, guys," I greeted to my helpers. "I need help again."

"Hey, Jorgie," the two men said in unison as they scooped me off the floor and carried me to the ambulance.

Surprisedly enough, they have not yet told me their names. I guess because they are sick of seeing me as much as I am seeing them. But the three of us get along pretty well.

After being put in an ambulance, riding in it while lying down, arriving to the hospital, and going in, I finally was resting in a hospital bed. I ran a hand through my hair and coughed, surveying my surroundings.

It was pretty much a bland room. There was nothing in the room except me and the hospital bed, and the floor and walls were both white with the paint peeling off.

I sat up, my back now resting against the pillow, and glanced down at the white sheets that were covering my legs and feet. A tear ran down the side of my cheek as I reached for my legs and touched them roughly. I wanted to cry so badly.

I could not feel my touches.

Then I heard a familiar voice.

"Jorgie!"

It was Jorga. My sister.

I gulped to keep from crying, and Jorga dashed into the room.

"Jorgie." She hugged me tightly and examined me. "My gosh. Are you okay? I came to the drama room, and Ms. Dia informed me that you were taken to the hospital."

I took her hand into mine and held it. What was I supposed to tell her? I did not want her to worry.

"May I come in?"

It was Dr. O'Fallon. He was holding a clipboard with paper on it.

"Yes. Please," Jorga insisted. "We need to know, especially me, what is wrong with her."

Dr. O'Fallon entered and stood by my bed. He flipped through the pages and stared at me and my sister.

Jorga was sweating to an extreme, and who could blame her? She was concerned what the result might be. "What is going on with her now?"

"I am sorry to say this..." the doctor began. "...but her Tenomeya is getting worse. The reason that she cannot feel her legs or feet is because she is paralyzed from the waist down."