Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Ah! Let me go!"

"Jorgie, shh. It is me. It is just us."

I stopped screaming and slowly stopped squirming. I could hear myself breathing hard and recognized the voice in an instant.

It was Calvin's.

I opened my eyes, the first things - or should I say, people - whom I spotted were the boys. Calvin was on my right side, and Common Sense was floating on my left side. Calvin was on his knees and stroking my cheek with his fingers.

"It is only the two of us. Me and Common Sense," he continued. "You are safe."

I realized that I was lying on the floor and tried sitting up, my back making contact with the hard floor, even though that I was already on my back. The boys noticed what I was attempting to do and gripped my arms and shoulders. They helped me up, and Common Sense brushed any dust that was on my clothes.

Calvin crossed his arms and rolled his eyes. "Really? It is just dust."

"Dust that she could accidentally inhale into her nose and down her lungs or into her mouth and choke," Common Sense explained. "You can never be too careful. You have to have common sense. Like me."

He facepalmed. "Are you hearing yourself? That is something that Anxiety would say. The guy worries about everything."

It was his turn to roll his eyes in disgust. "I am nothing like Anxiety. I just have common sense, you know."

Then Calvin looked as if his worst nightmare had come to life and gasped. "Now I know why Anxiety never abused you! You are somewhat like him! He hates me because I like to have fun all the time."

"Excuse you! Let me get a few things straight! First of all, I am nothing - nothing! - like him. I never treated you or myself like crub. We were best friends."

"We are best friends."

"The word 'were' is the keyword. You abandoned me!"

Calvin looked as if he were going to explode and clenched his hands into tight fists. He had his fists at his sides and shook them. "I cannot take this anymore!" He picked me up and carried me away, his smile never disappearing when he was staring at me. "Nice necklace."

I blushed a little. "Thank you. Now...about you and Common Sense..." I was going to tell him that their long friendship should not end just because of a mistake or misunderstanding, but he shushed me and held me close to him. I sighed and rested my head on his chest.

With Common Sense following behind us, Calvin made his way to the movie theater that was across from where we had been. I let the sword slip out of my grasp, and the sword fell and clattered to the ground. Calvin noticed, but walked past it and did not bother getting it. I guessed that we were through with that sword.

We entered the theater, and it was just as I imagined it. It was a large room with a black floor and red walls. There was a ticket booth at one end with some games next to it that you would find at arcades. At the other end was a stand with a long table that stretched from the start of the stand to the end. Behind the table were popcorn, candy, and drinks. There was nobody behind the table, and staring at the delicious popcorn with creamy butter made my stomach growl.

Calvin set me in a chair that was next to to the booth, and my stomach growled louder, and I clutched it tightly.

"Are you alright?" Calvin asked, noticing my discomfort. "Are you hungry?"

I nodded and blew away a strand of my hair.

"How about some popcorn? I can get you some."

"But...is the food not real? I mean, we are in a memory of mine. A..." I gulped. "...nightmare."

"This is a memory, not a dream. Your memory is based on real life, so the food here is edible."

"Oh. Okay. Cool."

He kissed my forehead and strolled over to the stand. Humor...Calvin...is the definition of a gentleman.

Common Sense floated over to me, and I could see that he was pouting.

"Are you...mad at him?" I asked.

"Mad? I am disappointed. Angry. Upset. I mean, why in the world would he fake his death and leave me?"

"To be free from Anxiety and be with me."

"...besides those two things."

Calvin soon returned with a bag of popcorn and handed it to me. "I am sorry. I could not help but overhear you two."

Common Sense threw his hands in the air. "Just tell us! How the heck did you fake your death?!"

He opened his mouth and was about to answer, when we heard another voice....

...saying my name. Over and over.

"Jorgie...Jorgie...Jorgie..."

We faced whoever - or whatever - was repeating my name...

...and I could not believe in a billion years who it was.

It was my sister. Jorga.

But at the same time...it was not her.

She seemed to be under mind control.