Chapter Twenty-Eight

I did not have to guess that my skin was instantly getting pale when he said that. Common Sense's mouth dropped open, for he was just as surprised as I was.

I tried to wrap my head around what he stated and thought that he was joking. Or maybe he assumed that we were discussing about him.

"Who are you?" Common Sense asked Calvin. He glanced back at me. "Who is he?"

"He is my best friend," I explained to him. "You could say that we are sort of soulmates. His name is Calvin."

"Ah. So I see."

"I am shocked..." Calvin started. "...that you do not know who I am."

Common Sense glared at him. "I have never seen you before in my life. How did you even get here?"

"I used the powers that I was given." His raised his hands and slowly moved his fingers, and orange sparkles appeared from his fingertips.

Wow! That was cool!

"So...you are a human," Common Sense commented. "A human boy with superpowers."

Calvin lowered his hands and shook his head. "Wrong. I became a human when Jorgie turned six years old. I did this because I was being abused by Anxiety."

He teared up even more and growled. "Stop!" He then slapped my friend's face.

"Calvin!" I shouted.

My friend seemed shocked that he slapped him and gently rubbed where he was slapped. "Why...why did you do that?"

"You do not get to say that you were abused by Anxiety!" Common Sense snapped. "You are not him! You are not my best friend!"

"But—"

"I do not want to even hear you! You are not Humor, and the reason that you are not is because he is dead!"

What he said about Humor, claiming that he was dead, reminded me of my weird - and disturbing - dream. When someone accused me of killing him.
——————————————————————————
"Why? Why did you do it? How did you do it?"

I glanced all around and became confused.

Was he talking to me?

"How did you get rid of him?"

"G-get rid of who?" I was nervous now. "Who are you?"

"You need to tell me!"

I shook. "Tell you what?!"

"How did you kill off Humor?!"
——————————————————————————
Was that man - that male's voice - Anxiety? He was accusing me that I was responsible for Humor's death after all.

Calvin ran a hand through his orange hair and adjusted his glasses. "What if...Humor faked his death?" he suggested.

By this point, Common Sense was ticked off at my best friend, and I did not blame him for being angry at him. It was obvious that he treated Humor like a brother and missed him very much. But I was curious as to what Calvin was getting at.

"Stop! You stop that!" Common Sense exclaimed angrily. "Humor is dead! I saw! I saw Anxiety kill him!"

"That is what Humor wanted you to think." He winked. "Let me ask you a question. What color was Humor?"

He sniffed and wiped off a tear that was streaming down. "O-orange."

"And what color is my hair?"

"It looks...orange."

"My full name is Calvin Hum. Think about my last name for a moment. It is spelled H-U-M. Is it a coincidence? I think not."

I put all the pieces together and stared at him for the longest time. "Wait a minute..." I said. "...Humor is not dead! You are Humor!"

Calvin was Humor! What a plot twist!

"Correct! I am your humor, but I am no longer Humor. Humor is gone forever. It is now Calvin."

No wonder he made me happy and filled me with laughter every time that I was with him! He...was a part of me.

"Liar!" Common Sense called him out. "How dare you say that you are my best friend! Why, I—"

He cut him off. "Common Sense, your favorite game is Hide 'N Seek! You and I used to play that game all the time."

That was enough for Common Sense to realize that his friend was right in front of him.

"Humor...Humor!" He cried tears of joy as he floated over to him and hugged him tightly. "It really is you! Only Humor knows what my favorite game is!"

I smiled at the wonderful sight.

Calvin - actually, Humor - hugged him back. "I told ya. I was never dead."

Common Sense pulled away and forced to put on a smile. "But...you were gone. I saw with my own eyes Anxiety killing you!"

"Anxiety never killed me. Nobody did. I faked my death."

"But...why? Why would you do such a thing?!"

"I was sick of letting Anxiety, his girlfriend Diamond, and his brother, Cancer, boss us and Jorgie's body around and needed to do something! I was being abused as well!"

"Humor, they do not like me either."

"There is no more Humor! Only Calvin. And they never abused you. Only me! So I was glad to fake my death!"

"And you could not let me in on it?!"

"I acted like a child and still act like one! I was not thinking at the time!"

"Dude, you are the child! The youngest of us all. And Anxiety is the oldest."

"And the most evil and spoiled rotten."

Common Sense could not stop the waterworks and tried wiping off all of his tears. "Why did you leave me? Why?!"