Chapter Nineteen

After the substitute doctor confirmed that I did not have a paranoid disorder and there was nothing else wrong with me - which was a surprise, considering what I have been through - Jorga and I thanked him for his service and went on our way.

Jorga gripped the handles of my wheelchair tightly as she wheeled me out of the office and to the front doors of the hospital. I was too busy to notice what the people around me were up to. Too focused on certain thoughts.

Did I see Ms. Dia last night? Was she responsible for scaring the heck out of me? Or was I mistaken? Was it a person who looked like her? Was that even possible?

I guess that it is. I saw myself - my doppelgänger - in my dream.

But...that was only a dream. Was it not?

I was so deep in my thoughts that I did not notice that my sister had wheeled me outside...

...and the large group of people who were surrounding us.

Then there was a click! sound. And a white flash of light that broke me free of my thoughts.

I blinked and hissed. I rubbed my eyes, looked up, and spotted a young man in front of me. He was holding a camera and aiming it close to my face.

"Smile!" the man exclaimed happily as he snapped another picture of me. But I did not smile. I hissed and shielded my entire face with both of my arms, frowning in the process.

"Stop it!" I demanded. "Stop it now!"

I looked all around me. There were people - about thirty to forty - swarming around me and my sister like a group of bees that cannot mind their own business. There were photographers, reporters, cameramen, and regular citizens. The closest ones to me were the reporters and their cameramen and camerawomen.

A female reporter shoved the man with the camera out of the way and held up a microphone to my mouth.

"Hello, young lady," the reporter said. She had to raise her voice and nearly yelled because of all the other people who were chatting at once. "You are Jorgie Special and have left the hospital just now. Why did you visit the hospital? Is it because something else is wrong with you?"

Did she not know that I was deaf?

Actually, I take that back.

I was and still am glad that I was deaf during this moment. There are just some things that I would rather not - and you readers should not - hear about. Some of the things that people say are just plain stupid.

Jorga was also frowning and signaled to me to let me know what was going on.

"How many times do I have to tell you?" she questioned her. "She is deaf. She cannot hear any of you!"

"Oh." The reporter pulled her microphone away from me and held it up to my sister. "Then why do you not tell us why she visited the hospital on this very day?"

"That is none of your dang business!" She pushed the microphone away and started to wheel me out of that crazy crowd.

The female reporter hurried after us. "Wait! When will she feel better? Very soon? Never?"

"Is there a cure for Tenomeya?" another reporter called out. "Or will she suffer forever?"

Jorga just ignored them and picked up the pace. She ran down the sidewalk, careful to not trip my wheelchair on any cracks on the sidewalk and send me flying into the air.

We took a sharp turn around a corner, and I guessed that we were hurrying home, when we spotted a black limousine pull up next to the sidewalk. One of the doors to the backseat opened, and a woman poked her head out.

"Psst! Over here!" the woman whispered, motioning me and my sister to the limousine. "I know that you are being chased by those people. Come into my limousine, and I will have my driver escort the two of you to your home."

Jorga stopped running, and we looked at the woman. She and I looked at each other, and then back at her.

Could we trust her?

We could hear the voices and cries of the townsfolk getting closer and closer. We were desperate now.

I wanted to get in the woman's limousine and go home, but I could tell that Jorga did not trust her. I mean, she was a complete stranger to us. What if she was only tricking us in order to kidnap us?

"How can we trust you?" Jorga said, signaling to me the words that she and the woman were saying.

"Easy," the woman replied. She grabbed something and held it out for us to see. It was a card. A license. "This is my election card. I am running to be the mayor of Forlot."

My sister raised an eyebrow. "How do I know that is not a fake card?"

She lowered her card. "Let me ask you this. Would a criminal own a limousine?"

"Uh, yes. It is absolutely possible."

"But...I have a proposition...for your sister."

"A...proposition?"

"Yes. I have seen her on the news and deeply feel sorry that she is going through heck."

"What does that have to do with your proposition?"

"I only want to help her. If you let me help her, then I promise that the snobby citizens and bullies will leave her alone."

"So...how will you help her?"

She motioned with a hand. "We can discuss more if you two get in my limousine."

My sister looked concerned. "I do not know..."

"Trust me. Please. After all, I am Ms. Hayley Taylor and might...will be...your next mayor."

And you know what?

We got into her limousine!