Chapter Twenty-Seven

After about fifteen seconds in that ball, I gave up trying to get free and let it take me wherever it was heading to. I lied down and looked at the top of the ball. I could not stretch out my arms and legs because there was no room to do so. So I pressed my knees against my stomach and wrapped my arms around my legs. I was still a bit confused about the situation, but most of that confusion turned into worry and fear.

Where was I? What did they want with me? They must have wanted me for something because they were holding my sister hostage. And why did I see a brain that resembled that of a human's? Was I in a body or something?

After what seemed like an eternity of being trapped inside that ball, the ball finally stopped. I braced myself for impact as the blue ball faded. I let out a cry and hit the floor.

"Ow."

I blew away a strand of my hair that was blocking one of my eyes and slowly climbed to my feet, holding my side. It was hurting, and every muscle in me ached with severe pain. I began catching my breath and looked at where I was now.

The walls were red. So was the floor. Both of them had on blue cracks, almost like veins that blood vessels travel through, spreading all over. I squinted at the floor and became shocked. The red floor was beating.

Beat! Beat! Beat! It was as if it were performing a certain rhythm for me.

Beat! Beat!

Compared to the walls, the floor was pretty small, so I carefully walked to one of the edges and peered over to figure out where I was. I covered my mouth and stumbled back to the middle, as if I had just found out the plot twist.

I was standing on the top of a heart.

I was standing on the top of a heart that was beating.

Now I knew for sure that I was in a body. A body that was definitely alive.

I then felt a tap on my shoulder and not surprisingly, I jumped, almost out of my shoes, and screamed like I was on the verge of dying.

If I could die.

I spun around - and immediately saw a circle floating right by me. It was a pretty blue and reminded me of what Cancer looked like. It was the same size as me and had arms and hands and no legs or feet.

I took a step back, wanting to make a break for it, but I knew that I could not. How could I when I was stranded at the heart?

I stood up as straight as possible and gave the circle a sickening glare. I was trying to show - if possible, trick - him into thinking that I had every ounce of bravery and no piece of fear in me. But the glare on my face quickly disappeared when he put up his hands, as if saying to back off, and said my name.

"Jorgie?"

I stared at him with a confusing look and rubbed one of my arms. "Excuse...excuse me?"

The circle teared up, and before I could make a move, he floated close to me and embraced me in a hug.

"It is you!" he exclaimed happily. He pulled away from me, and his eyes stared into mine. "It has been so long...so painful..."

I gently pushed him away and took two more steps back. "S-stay away f-from me," I warned. I did not like the feeling of someone whom I did not know, a stranger, touching me. Hugging me! "I do not know you."

I have to admit that I felt my heart sank when I saw his face sadden. He shook a little.

"Oh my gosh. I am so sorry that I made you uncomfortable. I was not trying to. I am just happy that you are here and okay."

I whipped my ponytail back with my head and crossed my arms. "Who are you?"

"My name is Common Sense. I am one of your five emotions. Or...there were five of us...until..." Tears ran down his blue face and fell to the heart.

I felt bad for him and decided to hug him. He sniffed and hugged me back.

"Do you...work for Anxiety?" I questioned him.

"Gosh, no." He wiped away his tears with his arm and glanced down at me. "I would never work for him. I am a good guy. I swear! I have common sense!"

I got him to calm down. "I believe you all the way. I am just...confused."

"What are you confused about?"

"Where am I? And why am I here?"

His eyes softened, and he sighed. "You are in your body."

"My...my body?"

"Yes. Your body is in a coma right now."

What he was telling me made sense...sort of. That would explain the brain and heart.

"Anxiety, your anxiety, is very upset with you. That is why you are here."

I raised an eyebrow. "What does Anxiety want with me?"

"He...he wants to hold you accountable for killing Humor."

Now I was totally lost. I had and still have not killed anyone!

"I...I have not killed anybody."

"And I know that, but Anxiety thinks otherwise."

I gulped. I would never kill! Not even a guilty person! "Who is Humor anyway?"

"Is it not obvious? He is your humor. Your funny side. You have five emotions. Me, Humor, Diamond, Cancer, and Anxiety. And Humor...my most trusted and best friend...is dead! He is gone!"

"Who says that I am gone?"

I immediately looked to where that voice came from...

...and saw Calvin.

"Calvin!" I cried excitedly. I was so happy to see him.

Calvin glared at Common Sense. "Common Sense..." he said. "...why do you think that I am dead?"