~ Chapter Fourty-Seven : Taken ~

Chase and I sat in our seat, smiling brightly. The field lights shone onto the stage and lit up all the Once students faces as they walked onto stage and grabbed their diplomas. "Olivia Emma Brody, Valedictorian." Olivia stood and waltzed over in her cap and gown, her face holding only natural shades of makeup. She smiled brightly and received her diploma. Chase and I stood up and shouted her name. "That's my babygirl!" Chase cried.
     Chase and I wrapped her into a deep hug and squeezed her tightly. She squealed softly and bounced on the balls of her feet, "I'm finally done with school! College, here I come!" Her wavy, long, brown hair bounced as she moved happily. Chase wiped the tears from his blue eyes, "Don't forget your old man, okay? Come back to visit." She smiled gently and rested her hands onto his broad shoulders, "I'll never forget you, Dad. And whenever I have a break, I'll come and visit. Maybe I'll even give you a fake arrest." She winked. After this, Olivia was going to "Law and Enforcement School". She wanted to be an FBI agent working in the Behavior Analysis Unit, inspired by her favorite show she's been practically hibernating to watch. I smiled at her proudly, "You better go catch those bad guys." She giggled, and then regintion, "Oh! Victoria Wheeler is having a party tonight, like a graduation thing. Do you think I can go?" "Olivia...you're 18. You're an adult. You can make your own decisions." Chase smiled, "Oh course you can go. Just be safe, no alcohol." She squealed and hugged us tightly, "Thank you so much! I'll be home by like...11. Thank you." I gently kissed her forehead, "We're proud of you, Livy, we love you so much."
     I tucked my cold hands deeply into my jacket pockets, and watched as the frost follicles floated from my mouth and into the hair. Chase looked between me and Avery, who was trolling in front, sniffing the ground every now and then. Chase scooped a hand into his, "The house is going to be pretty empty soon, huh, Love?" "I was thinking about adopting a baby." I announced suddenly. He gave me a shocked look, "Love, we're approaching  our 30's. We'll be in our late forties by the time they move out-" "Just give it some thought...okay? Olivia is moving out, the house is going to be pretty much empty." I frowned. He chuckled and kissed my temple, "We still have Avery."

   I placed the keys onto the kitchen table and stretched my limbs. Avery ran pass, and up the stairs where is bed was waiting in Olivia's room. He was going to miss her, but over time he'd get  more comfortable with the empty room. I looked over at Chase, who was laying on the couch scrolling through his phone. I gently sat in his lap and brushed the hair from his face, "How do you think Avery is going to do with Olivia moving out?" He sighed and put away his phone, then resting his hands on my thighs, "He's going to be a little heartbroken, and moppy. But, he'll be alright after a bit. And she'll be home when she has vacation days, so he'll be happy to see her then-" "Are you okay with Olivia moving out...?" I asked quietly. He sat in silence for a second, just staring into my eyes. I cocked my head to the side, he wasn't staring at me. He was staring through me, at something else, somewhere else. He slowly opened his mouth, "She's my daughter. I'm always going to miss her. No matter how far she is from me, I'm going to miss her."  He gently smiled, a small chuckle leaving his throat, "It seems like just yesterday, she was running around with a puppy, giggling and laughing. Not a care in the world. And now she's...off to college." We stared at each other for a moment, sitting in a comfortable silence. I gently kissed his pink, soft lips and removed his hands that were sitting in my lap, and wrapped them in my own. He smiled gently at me, "I love you." "I love you too, Chase."

      Thunderous knocking announced itself to the household, cause Avery to bark wildly, and us to wake from our sleeping states. Chase gently removed me from off his chest and patted Avery head, telling him that everything was okay. I watched dully as Chase opened the door. I cuddled up to some pillows and held them close to my chest as I listened to the quiet voices. I  couldn't place the tone of the voices. Were they sad? Happy? It sounded empty. The door shut once again and Chase came back, "It was Sheriff Ogden." "What did she want?" I giggled quietly, "Did you tell her that you were 2 years sober-" "Olivia is dead." He interrupted. The smile dropped from my face as I stared at him gently, "Excuse me?" He slowly sat on the couch and folded his hands. He rested them on his face. I hesitantly placed a shaking hand on Chase's shoulder, "Olivia...is...she's dead?" He cleared his throat and turned to face me. He didn't look in my eyes. "They found her body behind a college frat house. No was no alcohol in her body, nor drugs. Her boyfriend- Michael- said that they had sex, and then Olivia asked for him to drive her to Victoria's for the party. No one had seen her for three hours before a drunk girl discovered her." Chase tightly closed his eyes and then cleared his throat, "Sheriff Ogden said that there was bruises around her throat, and hickies on her  chest and abdomen, it wasn't Michael's DNA. The tested it, but the scans showed up nothing." I covered my mouth and let out soft shaky breaths, "This isn't happening...this can't happen." Chase watched me closely, then wrapping his arms around my waist. We cried. He cussed and screamed into my shoulder, cursing at God for hurting our child. Cursing at himself for letting her go to that party. I pulled away and wiped his tears, "Do you need a drink?"