Chapter 14||

'To be alone means you avoid bad company. But to have a true friend is better than being alone'

"Are you excited for the game tonight?!" Arabella squealed as we pulled into the school parking lot for the game against Silver City High, the team's toughest competitors yet.

"I am but not as excited as you though."

"How can I not be? Chris told me that this win's going to be in my honour and the entire time he's out there, he'll be thinking of me." She swooned, her cheeks becoming tainted with red.

I shook my head at my love struck friend as we found reasonably good seats in the bleachers, thanks to Chris who had them reserved.

"How romantic." I commented.

"Shut up! Don't act as though you're not guilty. Rumor has it that you and Elijah have really been hitting it off."

"We're just-"

"Friends, I know." She cut in, finishing my sentence.

"I'm serious Bella."

Instead of replying, she squealed as the team came unto the field and almost immediately, the crowd went wild along with the overly perky cheerleaders. My eyes scanned the group of boys almost automatically, hoping to spot Elijah but frowned when I didn't. However, a while later he emerged unto the field, his demeanour seemingly angry as he stomped towards his team.

Briefly, he glanced into the bleachers, searching for someone it appeared. Then, his eyes landed on me and it seemed that he'd become even angrier if possible. It seemed that waving at him wouldn't be a great idea just then. After an intense stare on his behalf and a confused one on mine, he returned his attention to coach Simmons.

I sat completely confused and bubbling with curiosity as to what the fuck just happened. Had I done something to piss him off? Clearly I had, his glare stated so beyond a doubt.

After that, I felt completely unsettled throughout the whole game and as for Elijah, everyone was beginning to worry weather or not we'd be able to win against SC High as he was so off his game tonight. I knew that whatever got him so riled up was putting him out of his element and the team is beyond pissed.

Not that any of them would approach Elijah and tell him that.

"What the hell's up with Elijah tonight?" Bella asked at half time, probably voicing everyone's thoughts out loud.

"I'm not sure." I answered a bit nervously and truthfully.

"Oh my God, did coach just bench Hastings?" One of the persons above us asked in horror, successfully drawing our attention back to the field.

It appeared that the coach had just about enough of Elijah's off night and kicked him off the field and it seemed that this only added to his anger as he angrily dropped his bat and stormed towards the locker rooms. Without thinking twice, I hastily descended the bleachers and followed him, not bothering to tell Bella where I was headed as I was sure she already had a clue.

Within moments, I was standing at the door of the boy's locker room. Without further thought, I pressed my palms against the door and headed inside and immediately found Elijah's figure seated on one of the benches. His elbows pressed against his thighs and his head lay in his hands, breath rapid and uneven.

"Elijah." I called softly ans somewhat cautiously so as to gain his attention and this seemed like the first day I'd spoken to him all over again.

Slowly, he shifted his gaze to me, dark green eyes ablaze in anger as he stood to his feet, glaring at me.