Chapter 16||

"Stuck between caring too much and not caring at all"

"I do."

"W-what?" I stuttered, fumbling over my words. My eyes were dead set on Elijah as he stared at me impassively as though he didn't just say that he cared about me. What a strange boy he was.

"I wouldn't have told you all that if I didn't trust or even care a little bit about you, Tessa. I only trust the people I care about." He pointed out indifferently.

"You." I said, pointing at him. "Care about me?" I poked my chest. I was in disbelief. Elijah Hastings cared about me.

What the actual fuck?

"Why are you making such a big deal about this? I know I might appear as a heartless asshole to many but you're the closest thing I've had to a friend in a while." He admitted, seemingly uncomfortable. He really wasn't comfortable expressing himself, I'd come to notice.

"That's honestly cute." I let out a small chuckle, hoping to tame the blush that was fighting for an appearance on my cheeks.

"I don't do cute Tessa." He shut down my statement.

"Oh, that's right, you're a bad boy." I teased.

"Don't fucking use that word. It's stereotypical as fuck." He cursed

"There's nothing soft about opening up Elijah. It takes a really strong person to express their feelings, especially something like that." I said honestly and he shrugged in return.

"Shit." I cursed, glancing at my watch. "I'm late for the bus." I hastily stood to my feet.

"The bus?"

"Yeah, my car's in the shop, my brake's not working." I explained.

"Fuck the bus, I'll give you a ride." He said, standing to his feet.

"Are you sure? If my dad sees you then I'm dead and so are you."

"I don't think you've noticed that I couldn't give two fucks about that. I'll hang out with you as long as you let me."

"Then I'd be really happy for a ride home." I beamed at him. I know it was a dumb as fuck move for him to take me home but I really doubt my parents would actually see me getting out of his car and after a night like this, I really didn't want Elijah thinking that my parents would change me idea of him. Sure, there were a few things about him that I didn't know as yet and yes, he oddly cares for me but I don't want to question anything happening between us right now. None of it feels rushed or misplaced, it all just feels right.

"Great. My car's back at the hospital parking lot. D'you want to wait out front here or come with?" He asked, patting his pockets for his keys.

"I think I'll wait here." I said.

"Okay." With that, he quickly made his way down the sidewalk, half jogging towards the hospital.

The silence of the night was interrupted by the roar of Elijah's truck coming down the street after a few minutes. He stopped directly in front of me, leaning towards the passenger door and opening it from inside.

I quickly hopped in, throwing my bag into the back seat as I clicked my seat belt in, not waiting for Elijah to scold me. He really was rather cautious about the whole seat belt thing.

"My mother's going to flip. I'm fucking late." I muttered as he pulled off.

"It seems we've only been friends for a short while and I'm already a terrible influence." He said with a grin.