Chapter 18||

"The cost of not following your heart is spending the rest of your life wishing you did"

"Here's your winnings," Andréa said as she slapped a wad of cash into Elijah's palm. My eyes widened slightly at the large sum which looked like a total of hundred dollar bills only. Elijah quickly sifted through the amount before he nodded at her almost dismissively. It seemed that she wanted to say more but instead she smiled and turned around, disappearing in the crowd.

"That's alot of money Elijah," I pointed out.

"Job pays well," He said with a casual shrug of his shoulder.

"So, what do we do now?" I asked, my eyes scanning the area as I took notice of the crowd that had now clustered together around a makeshift bar and campfire, dancing, drinking or simply lingering.

"We join the party," Elijah grinned. "Come on."

As though it had become second nature, Elijah grabbed my hand and tugged me towards the bar. My small frame lagged behind him as he lead the way.

"Elijah!" The young blonde male behind the bar greeted with a grin.

"Parker," Elijah replied as they did that rather strange male handshake -- hug in form of greeting over the bar's countertop.

Once Elijah had pulled away, he motioned for me to take a seat at the bar on one of the stools. "Tessa, meet Parker. The guy makes the best drinks; works magic behind that counter," Elijah praised and it was odd to see him really smile at someone and seem somewhat friendly.

"Ahh, so you're the girl that's been taking up all of my boy's time," Parker laughed as Elijah cursed at him with narrowed eyes.

"Nice to meet you," I laughed.

"So, are you two together?" He then asked bluntly as my eyes widened in shock at his bold question.

"What the fuck man?" Elijah swore with furrowed eyebrows.

Parker raised his tattooed arms defensively as he grinned, clearly amused. "I'm just asking, it's been a while since I've seen you with a girl."

"Shut the fuck up and fix us a drink," Elijah glared--- but it wasn't one of those deathly ones. He seemed highly amused rather than angered as he grinned right after, his eyes squinting slightly at the action as they always did.

"I'm guessing you want the usual beer and I know just what to make for the pretty girl," Parker smirked at me.

"Stop tryna flirt with her," Elijah said as a mock warning with slight glare. There was however, an underlying seriousness to his tone at the same time.

"Oh come on Elijah, give me a break. It's not everyday you find a girl this beautiful hanging around."

"Oh he's quite the smooth talker," I giggled.

"Please," Elijah scoffed. "If he really was that smooth, he'd not be a single twenty-six year old living in his mother's apartment."

Parker threw a playful punch at Elijah's arm as a form of retaliation but Elijah didn't flinch one bit and instead shot Parker an amused look. It was nice to see him getting along with someone that wasn't his family or myself. He usually appeared so distanced and cold but this was different.

A short while later, after watching Parker skillfully maneuver drinks and whatnot behind the bar, he placed an odd red concoction before me in a glass that smelled of fruit and a hint of alcohol. Questionably, I rose my eyebrow at the drink but his wide grin and wave of his hand encouraged me to take a sip. From the minute I did, a burst of fruity flavor mixed with heavy alcohol danced across my tongue.