Chapter 27||

'I don't know where I stand with you. I don't know what I mean to you but all I know is that every time I think of you, I want to be with you'

The throbbing on my cheek felt absolutely fresh the following morning. In absolute pain, I'd applied a bit of makeup to my face to hide the hand print that my father had left on my face before I dressed myself for school. I was thankful that my parents had left early as usual because I wasn't sure that I could face them this morning whether it be from anger or fear.

"Tessa." Elijah called as he approached me, wrapping his arms around me tightly. "I'm so fucking sorry about last night. Are you okay?"

I pulled away from him slightly confused at his apology but I shook my head no in response to his question as I willed myself not to cry.

Elijah's brows furrowed as he slammed my locker door shut, grabbing my books from my hand and dragging me outside the school to a secluded corner.

"What happened?" He asked as he brushed a hand against my cheek. I let out an unintentional hiss at the pain caused for the contact. I pulled away from him as I took a step back. Elijah's brows furrowed in confusion before a dark look took over his features, his darkened green eyes inspecting my cheek with absolute fury.

"Don't," I said as a fore warning, aware of the obvious anger he held.

"What the fuck happened to your face?" He asked.

"It's nothing," I waved him off, stepping out of his embrace.

"Like hell it is, Tessa. It's swollen and clearly hurts," He called me out harshly in disbelief of my quick dismissal.

"Just drop it Elijah," I said quietly.

"I'm not going to drop it, Tessa. Did they hit you?" He asked.

"It was nothing, really." I reassured him.

"Baby, tell me right now. Was it your dad?"

I didn't take the time to recognize the fact that he'd just called me baby or the butterflies that erupted in my stomach at the pet name. Instead, I bit down on my lip as I slowly nodded.

"He did and -- and my mother just stood there. She just stood there Eli and did nothing. She thinks I deserved it, that I brought this on myself," I said, allowing a few tears to fall freely.

"I'm going to fucking kill him. Why the hell would he even think of laying a hand on you like that?" Elijah cursed. "Fucking bastard."

"Elijah, please, calm down. You and I both know that if you even attempt revenge on my father that it won't end well. I don't want you getting in any more trouble."

"But Tessa, he fucking hit you," Elijah argued. "I'm heading over there right now and I'll beat the shit out of him."

"Elijah." I said firmly as my hand curled around his wrists, halting his angered movements. "Please, just drop it. If you head over there you'll play directly into his hands. He'd be over the moon if you tried to assault him. It's what he wants."

"How am I supposed to pretend that nothing happened Tessa? Is it even safe for you back home?" His tone is filled with obvious concern and worry and it warms my heart at how much he cares about me. "Look what he did to you, baby."

That's twice now that he's called me that -- not that I'm complaining.

"He's a cop for fuck sake. You can't just march into the police station and attack him. You'd be digging your own grave," I tried to reasoned with him.