cuarenta y uno

jack opened the door of his room and sighed when he noticed the silence. half an hour before he had to close it because jonah and emma kept arguing and their screams were heard all over the house. and it was hard to rest with all that sound.

jack felt like throwing himself on the couch and doing nothing but he couldn't get zach out of his head. he had to fix it. he had to talk to him. but for that he only had to let zach spend time with him. and the only way was for jack to serve him for something. but at that moment jack felt useless.

wait, jack stood in the middle of the hall remembering that zach told him last week that he needed his literature notes for a project he had been sent. the curly-haired boy ran into the living room and looked between the shelves below that were full of dust until he found his big book with crumpled sheets tucked inside.

he picked it up and sat down on the couch looking for something in his notes that talked about multiculturalism, which was what zach's project was about.

jack was so focused reading that he didn't notice that someone had sat at his side.

until she cleared her throat.

jack turned his head to find the source of the sound and ran into the dark eyes of gabbie, who had settled in the seat next to him.

"hello, gab." jack said quietly and looked down at the book again. "wait, how did you get in here?" he asked scared, looking back at her.

"good morning to you too, jack." said gabbie smiling. "jonah has let me in though. "

jack was glad at that moment that zach wasn't at home, that he was in his family's house. he knew zach and gabbie didn't get along very well those days.

but jack didn't want to spend the morning with gabbie either. he wanted to finish finding the notes, go to zach's and get a real date with him and with movies, lots of ice cream and all that stuff.

they had only had a few: the time of the park, the day of the basketball match and once at the cafeteria. it was clear that jack was not going to count the dinner with his family.

"can i talk to you?" gabbie asked touching her hair nervously.

"now?"

"i didn't come here to see someone other than you, jack," said the brunette girl. jack just kept quiet waiting for an answer. "yes, now."

"but i have..."

"are you in a hurry because the luch with your mother?" gabbie asked.

jack didn't even know that his mother was preparing luch for him, things with her had been very tense since the day she treated zach like shit. his mother had tried to talk to him, but he was avoiding her, just like the rest of his family.

"don't worry, i told my mom that we will arrive later because we had to go buy something." gabbie said again.

we had? jack thought and snorted. she has invited gabbie's family again.

"i had no idea." jack replied.

jack was going to turn again to look for the damn notes, however, gabbie stopped him capturing his hand. "please," she whispered, pouting.