Chapter Nineteen: Moving Forward

We've all been there. Where our eyes are closed and we can see the sun coming through our eyelids yet we don't want to get up. The state of being asleep and awake at the same time.

Sam was in that exact state right now. Except the thing that got her awake was a small shift of weight on top of her.

She lazily cracked one eye open and saw Alex's big, brown eyes staring back at her, making her grin and giggle at the sight. "You're cute," she mumbled, attempting to stroke back her messy waves. 

"I'm a deadly agent of the DEO, I don't try to be cute," Alex mumbled back, making the woman under her chuckle as she placed her chin on her forearm that was on Sam's chest. "Morning."

"Hey." She grinned into their lazy, morning kiss, cupping her face with both hands and letting her fingers tangle in her hair.

The sun was definitely shining brightly through Lena's floor to ceiling windows as Lena woke up, rolling over to find Kara in her sleep and snuggle closer for warmth, but felt cold sheets and a harsh sun under her eyelids.

She blinked sleepily awake, hearing hurried steps around the apartment. She raised her head, her hair falling messy in the front, back, and to the side. "Kara?"

"YeahhigoodmorningIhavetogettoworkI'mlate—"

"Kara," she mumbled, getting her to stop rambling as she ran around the penthouse and come to a stop at the foot of the bed. Lena blinked awake even more with a yawn, scratching at her scalp and pushing her hair to the left, out of her face and messily cute for the morning. "Handsome," she muttered.

Kara looked down at herself in her black slacks, white shirt with black dots scattered across the fabric and blue and black striped tie. She knew Lena must've either had her sizes and had clothes her for her or ordered them quickly. Either way, it worked. She self-consciously ran a hand over her sleek ponytail and muttered, "Thanks."

Lena cocked her head, looking like a very tired kitten. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, fine, just late for an editorial meeting." She steps in some shoes Lena can't see and she sighs. "Winn is a minute away and is gonna drop me off on his way to work, so I'm gonna go." The blonde goes over to kiss her messy hair, getting a groan from Lena as she pulls away before she grabs her tie to pull her down softly for a morning kiss.

It's quick and short and Lena smiles a bit at her little chuckle before her either so very minuscule—or nonexistence, she couldn't tell—smile is gone when her phone buzzes in her hand. "Gottagobyeloveya." And she's out of the room.

"Love you, too." Lena frowns momentarily and when the door shuts loudly, last night's events come rushing to her, making her flop back down with a groan. "Well done, Luthor. Well done."

"Are you sure you want to do this now?" Sam asks, fluffing her hair from pulling one of Alex's navy blue v-neck shirts on that was good for work that went with her black pants from the night before. "Don't want to wait for your sister to get off of work before you start all this?"

"I'm still somewhat healing—"

"You'd give anything to go to work," Sam points out with a finger.

Alex sighs with a smile. "Yeah, I was gonna go back."

"Don't hesitate to come back if you're tired, but don't tire yourself out." Sam kisses her sweetly before her phone vibrated in her hand. "Shoot, I'm already late, thanks to you." Alex looks nowhere near sorry with her smirk, Sam having to return it with an eye-roll, accompanied by a grin. "I have a meeting in ten, so I gotta go." She grabs her purse and jacket, Alex following her to the door when she opened it. "Have fun back at work. Love you." She stumbles when she gets pulled back to get another kiss on the cheek, making her smile.