Fourteen

When we arrived home, Addie got a text from Brandon that said, "We will be there at six. Get dressed up." Addie replied with our address.

I got a shower, got dressed and headed downstairs. My mom was so excited to meet the boys. Although I didn't speak on Nick's behalf that much, Addie sure rambled on about Brandon. Addie came over when she was done, accompanied by her mother and father.

Soon after, we heard a knock. Addie opened the door and let the boys in. They looked so nice. Brandon was wearing blue jeans and a red collared shirt, which went perfect with Addie's red high waisted shorts. Brandon kissed Addie's cheek and continued in.

Nick walked in behind Brandon wearing a light blue button-up with khakis. I didn't look as nice as Addie did, half of my clothes wouldn't fit over my cast. I managed to pull some blue Jean shorts on and a maroon blouse. I was satisfied with my outfit. Nick stepped over to me and gave me a hug.

"You look beautiful as always," he smiled at me.

"Nick, this is my mom," I stumbled.

Nick walked over and introduced himself. My mom seemed to like him. Addie introduced Brandon to her parents as well.

After a while, we all piled in Nick's jeep and left. They let me ride shotgun. It was easier for my leg to stretch out in the front seat. I stared out of the window daydreaming.

As we drove through downtown Atlanta, I noticed how alive it was at night. People were everywhere, walking down the streets and shopping. We pulled up to a parking garage and parked. "Now, we might have to walk for a minute, but this place doesn't disappoint," Nick explained.

We all got out and despite our questions, the boys wouldn't tell us where we were going. The walk seemed longer, enhanced by the use of my crutches. When we finally turned the last corner, I noticed a sign that said, 'The Melting Pot.' "I've been here, this place is so elegant," Addie concluded.

We walked in and had to wait thirty minutes for a table. Nick asked me how I was feeling once again, and I replied with a small, "Alright." When we finally sat down, we ordered our drinks. It took quite a while for them to come out.

When our entrées finally came out, it was worth the wait. It was so delicious. It was different also. They gave you the meats you order, and you cook them yourself in a pot with the flavors you choose. I will definitely be back, hopefully with Nick.

Once we were finished eating, Nick and Brandon paid, and we started walking back to the car. It was around eight. As we were walking along the sidewalk, we noticed a man laying down with a blanket wrapped around him. He looked around his sixties or seventies. He had long gray hair and his clothes were too big for him. He was also wearing an army hat. We were a few feet away, but I could smell a strong odor.

As I was waiting on him to ask us for money I was surprised when Nick started to speak, "Are you a veteran, sir?"

"Yes, I served on the Vietnam war," he choked out.

He leaned over and gave the man a hundred-dollar bill.

"No veteran should have to live this way."

The man took the money as a tear slipped down his face. The man said, "Thank you" and stood to shake Nick's hand.

"That was beautiful," I gazed up at Nick when we continued to walk again.

He grabbed my hand and softly spoke, "It hurts me to see people struggle the way they do, when I seem to have everything I need." I gave him a slight smile and we all got into the Jeep and drove off.

We pulled up to a Walgreens and got out to see what was on Redbox. It was between Annabelle or Spider-Man.

"I want to see Annabelle." Addie said and we put it in the cart together.

"Annabelle it is!" Brandon slid his card and we drove back to the boy's dorm.

When I got to the stairs I started to struggle. "Do you want some help?" Nick asked me from behind.

"No, I'm not a baby," I snapped back. Nick backed up. I got to the middle of the stairs and had to pause for a breather.

Realizing I might had been a little harsh with my words, I turned around and looked back at Nick. "Can I help now?" he urged.

Swallowing my pride, I replied, "yes."

I immediately felt arms around me as he cradled me and finished walking up the stairs. Nick smiled as if he won the mini argument and I rolled my eyes back at him. He put me down at the top and we walked into the apartment.

Brandon put in the movie and we all got comfortable on the couch. Even Josh came out from his room and sat with us, jumping occasionally. We all laughed at him. Being the biggest guy in the room, he sure did act like a little girl.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Addie and Brandon snuggle closer as the movie got scarier. I was jealous. I wanted that with Nick so bad. I knew I wasn't ready for it, and I did not want to put myself in that situation right now. I wasn't even sure if I was fully over Thomas yet, but it was like something deep down was urging me to get closer and let loose. This amazing guy was trying to care for me, and I won't let him in. I felt something touch my hand. I looked down to notice Nick's fingers curl around mine. His hands were so warm and inviting. He smiled at me and lifted the pillow he had in his lap quietly encouraging me to come over and lay down. I scooted over before I could convince myself otherwise and leaned on him. His arm slithered around my waist as he was holding me, giving me goosebumps once again. I felt safe.

Once the movie was over, we helped clean up the snacks and trash. We piled into Nick's Jeep and left the dorms. It was quiet on the way home, except for the sounds of Addie and Brandon giggling in the back seat over a video they were watching. I was so exhausted. Lugging around this heavy cast wasn't easy on me.

When we arrived home, Addie and Brandon got out of the car. I watched them go up to her porch and pause. The way he looked at her was unbelievable, with pure admiration like she was the most precious thing in the world. They shared some words and ended their conversation with a long passionate kiss.

"Did you have fun today, Kassidy?" Nick's voice broke the silence.

"I did," I looked back at him and smiled.

He took my hand. "Maybe next time it can just be you and me," he gazed at me.

"I'd like that," I scanned his face for flaws but couldn't find any. How could someone be so perfect? Our silence was broken again when Brandon opened the back door. I turned and noticed Addie was walking inside.

"Let me get the door for you." Nick rushed to get out and walked around to my door. He opened the door and reached for my hand. I politely gave it to him, and he helped me out.

"Don't forget these! You may need them," Brandon joked as he handed me my crutches.

"Thank you, guys," I turned to start walking to my door and noted Nick's shadow lingering behind me. The butterflies in my stomach were back with a vengeance. Were we about to have our first kiss?

Oooouuu. Thoughts?

Thanks for reading!

-Tay 🌸