Forty

Sending Addie and her mother off was super lame. I wanted to go with her. I don't know what I would do in Texas, but at least she wouldn't be leaving me. On the way back home Nick texted me asking to hang out. Of course, I texted back "yes" and told him to give me an hour. I had to get ready.

When I got home, I fixed my makeup and threw on some leggings and boots with a sweater. Nick arrived shortly after and walked up to my room. "Hey babe," Nick spoke while pulling me in for a tight hug and continued, "What are your plans for Thanksgiving?"

"Well since Addie left, I guess I was just going to eat here with mom and Bryce," I shrugged my shoulders while walking back and forth picking up the rejected clothes in my floor. "You?"

"Well, I was wondering if you wanted to come to my family's thanksgiving dinner?" Nick asked as he sat on my bed. He seemed a little nervous asking me.

"You want me to meet your parents?" I asked a bit confused as my eyes got wide. Nick had already met my mother, but there was something nerve racking about meeting his parents.

"Yes, my mom is ready to meet you. Apparently, I talk about you all the time," Nick blushed while rolling his eyes and smiling slightly.

I felt my lips pull themselves into a smile at his last comment. I looked over at him, put my hands on his knees and leaned in for a kiss. "Of course, I will."

Something about Nick's family intrigued me. I was so excited to see where he came from and who raised him. I wanted to personally thank his mother. She raised such a kindhearted and decent man. Nick was truly perfection. I am almost positive his mother was as well.

"Mom, this looks stupid," I whined.

"Kassidy Ann!" my mother yelled back at me.

The outfit she chose for me was horrifying.

"I am going to change. Nick would be so embarrassed if I wore this to his house," I laughed. My mother's style was super cool, for the eighties. She wasn't up to date with today's style.

I threw my mother's choice of a knee length, patterned dress onto the floor after tugging it off of my body and pulled on a burgundy blouse and some tan parachute pants with my brown sandals. I didn't even realize what made me ask my mother for advice on clothing options when I could've easily picked out this outfit an hour ago. I coordinated my makeup with my outfit by adding a hint of dark eye shadow and burgundy matte lipstick, while leaving my cheeks a bit open for my freckles to show.

"Wow, you look stunning." My mothers face got red.

"Oh my gosh mom, don't cry," I rolled my eyes to her.

"Kassidy Ann, I am so happy for you. You have grown into such a beautiful woman."

When she started to get emotional, I shoved her out of my room telling her, "I love you! I have to finish getting ready." She chuckled as she left my room and walked down the stairs.

I took a picture in my mirror and sent it to Addie. She had already been eating all day with her family. She went to her mom and dad's separate family Thanksgivings, so that was double the food. She was so lucky. Addie sent a ton of heart eye emojis and told me his family was sure to love me.

Once I heard Nick's Jeep pull up around one thirty, I ran down the stairs and yelled to my mother before darting out of the door. Nick had just shut his driver side door as he turned the corner of the front of his Jeep, his face flushed when he saw me.

"Oh my, Kassidy, you look."

He seemed to have forgotten how to speak.

I felt my face get a little hot before I spoke a small, "Thanks."

I stood on my tip toes to give him a kiss as he opened the door and we pulled out of my driveway. Nick turned the volume knob to the radio slowly as the music started to get louder. An Ariana Grande song started playing on Q99.7 and Nick turned it up louder as we both began to sing.

Nick grabbed my hand as he began to sing along with the music, "Something about you, makes me feel like a dangerous woman." Nick took his eyes off of the road every other second while singing to me. He was adorable, even when he would get the lyrics completely wrong.

"So, just a forewarning, my family is crazy," Nick squeezed my hand as he continued, "They will joke with you about everything," he laughed.

"I can take it," I looked over at him. To my comment, we pulled into a neighborhood and then onto a long driveway. "No," I said in shock. This had to be a joke. The house at the end of the driveway looked like a mansion. There were around twenty cars parked in the front yard.

Once Nick parked, he looked over at me. "I know I didn't tell you, but I thought you would think differently of me," Nick looked slightly ashamed.

I was definitely caught off guard. "Nick, I wouldn't care if you lived in a box on the side of the road."

Nick let out a chuckle.

"Let's be real though, what if they don't like me?" I said nervously.

"Oh, I'm not worried about that. They will love you," Nick said pressing his lips to mine. I unbuckled my seatbelt and followed Nick into his beautiful home.

"Nicky, baby!" I heard someone yell from another room as we passed by strangers looking at the both of us.

"Kassidy, this is my cousin Mario."

"Hey sweetness." Mario said as he gave me a big hug.

I laughed and said, "Nice to meet you."

"My mom should be in the kitchen." Nick said and grabbed my hand, practically dragging me through this maze of a house.

We entered a room that looked indeed like a kitchen out of a magazine. "Hey ma," Nick said and pulled the woman into a long hug.

Once they let go of each other, she turned to me and spoke, "You must be Kassidy. My, what a beautiful girl you are, Nick has told me so much about you." She grabbed my arms and brought me into a tight hug.

"Good things I hope," I joked with her.

"Of course," she smiled. Nick's mother was beautiful. We conversated for a few minutes more, then she called everyone into the kitchen to pray over the meal. Nick and I filled up our plates with different kinds of food. I had green beans, mashed potatoes, and like three different types of meats. Nick piled his high with a ton of vegetables and meats as well. Nick's family was so big and loud. Just like Nick had warned me, they were cracking jokes left and right.

We found a seat next to Mario and started devouring our food. "This is so good," I said while shoving more food into my mouth.

"I know right," Nick laughed at me while doing the same.

"Kassidy, you should have invited your mother over, I wouldve loved to meet her," Nick's mother commented walking behind me and laying her hand on my shoulders.

"She would have loved to come; She is at home with my brother Bryce making his favorites," I smiled up at her.

"Well, we would love to have her over sometime soon, and your brother as well," she said pulling her lips into a smile and squeezed my shoulders before started up a new conversation with another woman.

Once we finished our food, Nick took me outside where some of his uncles were and introduced me to more people. It got kind of tedious after a while, I tried to remember everyone's names as best I could. I knew it would take a few tries to get everyone's right. Nick's family was the complete opposite of mine. His family was everything that I didn't have. Everything that I wanted. I used to have that with my dad's side of the family, but that didn't last long. I had to admit it; I was having a blast with Nick's family. We had just gotten finished playing football with his cousins when everyone started to clear out. I was kind of upset that everyone was leaving so soon. The overwhelming feeling I had in my stomach had disappeared. I loved Nick's family.

What do you think of Nick's family?

Don't forget to vote and comment!

The book is coming to an end, just a few more chapters!

-Tay 🍄