Fifteen

I swiveled around at my front step and lost my balance. It was so easy for me to get off balance putting all my weight on that one foot now.

Nick steadied me by my shoulders. "You good?" he asked, his eyes beaming into mine.

"Yes, of course," I stated, "still getting used to this thing."

"Like I said Kassidy, I hope we can do this again, but just the two of us," he smiled at me.

"Definitely," I nodded a little nervously.

"Goodnight Kassidy," Nick leaned in and kissed my forehead. He pulled me in for a hug. As my head touched his warm, tight body; I could hear his heartbeat. So steady, so perfect. That sound gave me comfort.

The hug lasted a few minutes, but I didn't care. He still smelled so good. It was a scent I couldn't resist anymore. He pulled away and smiled.

"Goodnight, Nick," I turned to unlock my door; star struck. I hobbled up the stairs and went to my room.

After I got situated in bed, I was frightened when I heard a solid knock at my bedroom door. "Come in?" I was confused.

"Hey sweetie. How did it go?" It was my mother.

"What are you doing up, Mom?" I asked.

"I was waiting for you to get home. How did it go?" she questioned again.

"Mom, it went perfect," I sat up on my bed.

"He seemed really sweet. I'm so happy for you, Kass. You deserve it you know," she sat on the bed beside me.

"He is everything I've ever wanted. I'm so scared. I don't want to ruin things," I pleaded.

"Honey, you won't. You just need to be yourself. I'm sure he already knows the real you and that's what keeps him coming back. Everything will work out the way God has written for us," she leaned over and gave me a hug. My mother always tried her best to live up to my expectations of her mother and lift me up when I am feeling down. "Now get to sleep. You don't want to be late for classes tomorrow." She left the room quietly and I laid back down and closed my eyes.

The next day I woke up to the tingling sound of my phone going off on my night stand beside me. I slowly stretched and sat up. I saw Nicks name and opened his message. As I read it my heart dropped.

'Hey Kassidy, I wanted to let you know I am leaving town for a few days. My grandma isn't doing well, and I want to go be with her and my family.'

I texted him back, 'You will be in my prayers. Let me know if you need anything,' That's really all you can say in a horrible situation like that. Knowing how I still felt about my grandmother, I knew it wasn't going to be an easy journey for him. I got up and got dressed with a frown on my face. I felt so bad for him.

After my Grandfather passed, we tried our best to help my Grandma out and make her feel better about the situation, but after she took her life, I kind of lost hope. As much as Addie wanted to help me through it, there was nothing she could do to help me either. In that instance I felt only a portion of what I expected my grandmother felt when she lost her husband. Oh, how hard it must have been for her. 

When it was time for class, I shambled over to the car and jumped in. I told Addie what Nick had texted me and she frowned. We talked about what it was like losing our close loved ones on the way to class and that worsened our mood. Nick hadn't texted me back. I just wished there was something else I could do. I knew I had done enough. We sat through what seemed like the longest lecture and finally got through it. Our professor hinted at a test next week, so I knew this weekend would be filled with studying.