21

I had spent three days alone in the house, only leaving when i had to go to work. I had managed to pick myself up a bit at work, having so many good people around me helped a lot. I hadn't spoken to any of the guys, which stung but it's for the best. Not having Auston around sucked, I was used to him being in my house literally all the time. But now I don't have him either. Dad wasn't back till tomorrow. I was lonely and if i was being honest, in these moments, i just wanted my best friend back.

I sighed loudly as i walked into the kitchen, one of Mitch's jersey hung loosely on my b0dy as i began to cook some food. Mitch had called yesterday, asking if i was alright. I told him i was coping, he said he missed me and i told him I missed him too. Spending almost everyday with someone and then all of a sudden not talking to them was the worst thing. The sound of the door buzzer woke me from my daydream. I sighed heavily, expecting the delivery man, but when i opened the door, Auston was stood, flowers in hand.

"Hey." He said quietly, smiling gently at me. I smiled back gently also, opening the door for him further.

"Hey." I whispered back as we walked into the kitchen, him carrying the flowers before placing them in the sink. When he turned around, he looked at me sadly and sighed heavily.

"I'm sorry, Lil." Auston said and I just walked into him, wrapping my arms around him and pulling him closely to me. He took a second before wrapping his arms around me, pressing a kiss to the top of my head. We stood in the kitchen for a while, just hugging, until I pulled away when i could smell my pizza burning.

"The guys miss you, they said its not the same you not being around. Mitch isn't the same." Auston said grabbing two plates as i pulled out the two pizzas and we took one each, I had originally planned to eat both Pizzas so I guess its best that he showed up.

"I miss them too, but its for the best. I don't think me being around Mitch would be the best idea." I said as we both climbed into my bed and i turned on the tv, beginning to eat my pizza.

"We talked about what happened when I got home, he was sitting on the sofa, watching the tv and I thought we should talk about it when we're sober. But he asked me to sit with him for a while, he cried for a bit, I hugged him then we both went to bed. I apologised in the morning properly." Auston said and I just sighed, crossing my legs.

"I don't know what to do anymore, Aus." I said as I sat my place to the side, Auston sighed and pulled me into another hug and I just confined myself in the comfort.

***

I awoke to the sound of voices downstairs and Auston breathe tickling my neck. I quietly and carefully tried to get my way out of the bed. I grabbed Aus's jumper and made my way downstairs, the house was a mess and so was I. I walked into the kitchen where Uncle Dillons and Dads voice came from.

"This place is a mess." He said confused before turning around. When his eyes landed on me, his expression went soft and his face flashed with immediate concern as he looked over me. "Oh, Lilly." He said opening his arms and I walked into them, immediately breaking down. Sometimes all you needed was your dad. When we both pulled away, I looked at him properly and he smiled slightly. We sat at the island while my Uncle Dillon left.

"Mitch and i broke up." I whispered and dad looked at me quickly. "Auston kissed me. Mitch saw. But he knew something was wrong. I've been struggling recently, loosing my mind a bit." I whispered and he placed his hand on mine.

"I can give you time, Lilly. If you aren't ready to hear this." He said and I just looked at him, sad eyes and a heavy mindset, but ready to hear the truth.

"I'm ready." I said quietly and he nodded, straightening himself up as he stared down at his hand.

"I met your mother when we were in high school. I was playing hockey while she was writing, her mind was beautiful, always seeing the positives in a negative situation, even if it was impossible." He chuckled and I smiled. "When my hockey career took off, your mother stayed by my side, at this point we were in college and she stayed by me, making it to ever game and every away game. She was our biggest supporter and the guys loved her." He said, his voice cracking slightly. "Then she fell pregnant with you. It was as if our worlds had completely changed, we were so excited, we had all these plans, we loved you so much. We didn't care if you were a boy or a girl, all we cared was that you were healthy." He said quietly, his posture changing as he slumped slightly. "When it came to the birth, it all went smooth. You cane our healthy and crying, your mother was fine for the first hour. Then all of a sudden, she had a seizure. You were in my arms when it happened, she died on the bed minutes later. It was unexplained why that happened." My dad choked and I quickly flew at him, wrapping my arms around him.

"I'm so sorry, dad." I whispered, mortified but upset about this new information. He sobbed into my shoulder as I held him close.

"She was the love of my life, Lilly. Watching her die is something I'll never get out of my mind, knowing you would never get to meet your real mother was the most painful thing ever." My dad whispered and I just kept him close, trying to digest this whole situation.