22

Dad had perked up a bit more after telling me what happened with my real mum. We talked for hours that night and drank wine, he told me all of the stories about my mum and Auston joined. It was nice to have the three of us together, not thinking about anything else about that moment we the memories of my dads past. It had been a couple of weeks since mine and Mitch's breakup and I was finding it harder to see him moving on, but I knew it was for the best.

I sighed loudly as I walked through Chicago, I was exhausted but my flight was pretty early. Dad was on actual business meetings during the week so I decided I'd fly out so I wasn't alone for the week again. After walking around for a while, I got bored and decided to make a call.

"Hey Patty!" I exclaimed as I skated onto the ice, padded and ready to play with the big boys.

"Lilly! What're you doing here?" Patrick Kane asked as I skated over to him and Crawford. Both men wore a smile as I approached.

"I made a call, decided I'd join you guys for some training. Or a friendly game maybe." I winked and the rest of the lads skated around as they shared a look.

"You're on. You sure you can handle it?" Crawford asked and I placed my helmet on my head and popped my mouth guard in my mouth and skated over to the other side of the rink. The lads all got their helmets on as we split the team and got ready to play.

***

By the end of the game, we were victorious and Crawford was happily dancing while mocking Patrick who was stood with an annoyed but pleased expression on his face.

"Damn, Lil. You should play for the big leagues. You gave us all a run for our money." Corey said throwing an arm around my shoulder as we skated off the ice and I just laughed as Dylan came up at my other side.

"I could never. Big time games make me feel sick. I'll watch and support, but actually being on the ice, I couldn't do." I shrugged but before Patrick could speak up. My dad jogged towards me, a concerned look on his face.

"You might want to check the news." He said as I grabbed my phone from my bag, Corey peeking over my shoulder as I brought up the news app. 'Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews seen spotted having a physical fight just outside of the Scotiabank arena' i looked at dad quickly who just looked at me with concern.

"Fucking idiots." I whispered and Corey rested his hand on my shoulder as I bowed my head slightly. I got the first flight back home, not really knowing how to feel as I got of the plane and hailed a cab back to my place. It was late by the time I got home, quarter to something in the morning as I unlocked the door and walked into the pitch back house, which was oddly warm, which was confusing as it was freezing outside. But as I made my way over to sofa, it became apparent why.

Mitch was curled up on the sofa, a black eye and a bust lip. He was wearing shorts and a t shirt and he was cold to touch, I was scared he was dead for a moment, until I saw a him move slightly. My heart ached at the sight of him. This was the first time I had seen him in weeks and it was painful. But that didn't stop me from placing a thick blanket over his body and pressing a kiss to the side of his head.

I made my way into the kitchen and turned on the light, deciding to make myself a cup of tea. I had a constant lump in my throat that I was trying to desperately push down as I poured the hot water into my cup. When I walked back into the living room, Mitch was sat up, staring at the blanket around him confused. When I got further towards him, his head snapped in my direction.

"Everytime we spend time away from each other after an argument, you always end up at my house with a black eye from Auston." I said quietly, my voice breaking as I stood to the side, avoiding eye contact.

"I missed you. This was the only place I could think to come, I hope you don't mind. But I've still got my key." He said, almost quieter than me. This time I finally looked at him. He looked tired, his lips were pale and apart from his black eye, his eyes were puffy and red.

"I missed you too." I whispered as I sat on the edge of the couch next to him. We sat in silence for a few seconds before I spoke again. "What happened with Auston?" I asked, my voice strained before I cleared it.

"He said something about going by yours and I told him there was no point, you were in Chicago. Then I can't really remember what happened. He said something and I launched at him. Morgan pulled me away from him after we both got a few swings in." He said and I swallowed harshly.

"I hate this." I said quietly. He waited a second before moving a little closer, which I didn't object to. He pulled me into him as the tears slowly started fall from my eyes. He held me close and it was as if all the tension and stress from my body was lifted away.

"It doesn't have to be like this." He said as he pulled away, leaning his head against mines. Holding the back of my neck as he bumped his nose against mines, I let a few tears fall before leaning forward and pecking his lips. He pulled me close to him again and we lay on the sofa, both of us at peace for the first time in a long time.