Chapter 70 - Rufus Scrimgeour

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, along with Remus, were busy greeting my dad as I stood in the corner with Harry, simply staring at him from a distance.

"Maybe he's here because he changed his mind," Harry said, making me turn toward him. "Maybe he wants to say he's sorry."

I did not have time to answer before my dad made his way toward me, a smile on his face. I quickly took a step away from Harry as he stood in front of us.

"Dad," I said, "you remember Harry?."

"Hello, sir, it's nice to see you again," Harry said politely.

"Likewise," my dad replied unconvincingly, making me gulp nervously.

Harry then excused himself as Ron was calling for him from the living room, leaving only my dad and me in the kitchen.

"I see you did not listen to what I said."

I shook my head and gave a small, exasperated laugh. "And I see you really did not listen to me."

"I was only trying to protect you," he said.

"Protect me from what?" I asked. "From my friends?"

He was silent for a moment before he sighed. "I am sorry for what I said, truly," he said, calming my tensed body slightly. "I wanted to keep you safe, but I did not show it properly. And I can see you truly care for him, as he does for you," he said with a nod toward the living room, where I saw Harry was staring at me worriedly.

"Yes," I said. "I really do care for him..."

I was not at all certain that was suddenly enough for my dad since it usually took ages to admit he was wrong about things, but said nothing of the sort to him. I was simply glad that, even if he was thinking it, he would not voice his disapproval.

"I'll be going to bed now," I said, "goodnight."

"Goodnight, sweetheart," he said with a smile as I climbed up the stairs to Ginny's bedroom, who was already sound asleep when I walked in.

***

The small window was almost completely obscured with snow when I woke the next morning. I could hear the sound of Mrs. Wealsey preparing breakfast below through the closed doors and smiled to myself. Both Ginny and Fleur's beds were already empty, so I stood and quickly changed out of my pyjamas and into a pair of jeans and a new hand-knitted sweater from Mrs. Weasley before walking out of the bedroom. I glanced up the stairs and saw Ron's door still closed, signalling that they must still be in there. I walked up to the attic and softly knocked on the door before walking in.

"She's got to be joking..." Ron was saying as I entered. He was sitting bolt upright in bed and examining what appeared to be a thick gold chain

"What is that?" I said with a small laugh as I sat beside Harry on his bed as he lazily smiled at me.

"It's from Lavender," Ron said. "She can't honestly think I'd wear . . ."

I stood and leaned in close to examine the necklace and let out a shout of laughter as I noticed the 'My Sweetheart' pendant hanging on the chain. I grabbed it and handed it to Harry who began to laugh as well.

"Nice," he said. "Classy. You should definitely wear it in front of Fred and George."

"If you tell them," Ron said as he hid the necklace under his pillow. "I — I — I'll —"

"Stutter at me?" Harry said, causing me to chuckle. "Come on, would I?"

"How could she think I'd like something like that, though?" Ron asked.