Chapter 104 - Shell Cottage

We had been planning relentlessly our break into Gringotts for over a week now. Ollivander had been moved to Ron's Aunt Muriel's home, but Griphook had remained to help us. The others knew we were up to something as they continually cast us curious glances, but they had the decency not to ask.

We were all squeezed around the table one night eating dinner when there was a loud knock at the door. We all jumped to our feet and raised our wands toward the door.

"Who is it?" Bill called as we waited nervously.

"It is I, Remus John Lupin!" a voice called from outside. I gasped, but then felt a thrill of fear. Had something terrible happened? "I am a werewolf, married to Nymphadora Tonks, and you, the Secret Keeper of Shell Cottage, told me the address and bade me come in an emergency!"

Bill ran toward the door and opened it at once. Lupin fell over the threshold but straightened up at once, a wide smile spread across his face.

"It's a boy!" he cried. "We've named him Ted, after Dora's father."

Everybody let out relieved sighs, glad to know it was good news he brought today.

I gasped in excitement and smiled. "Wha — ? Tonks — Tonks had the baby?"

"Yes, yes, she's had the baby!" he shouted before he hugged me tightly.

When I pulled away he was looking intently at me.

"Elizabeth," he said, "will you be Teddy's godmother? Dora and I — we'd want nothing more."

"W — what?" I said in astonishment. "Oh, Remus, I'd be so honoured!"

Hermione squealed. He hugged me again before he turned to Harry.

"You'll be godfather?" he asked him.

"M-me?" Harry stammered.

"You, yes, of course — Dora quite agrees, no one better —"

"I — yeah — blimey —"

I laughed happily as they hugged each other. Harry then turned to me and I smiled before caressing his arm gently.

Remus was beaming at everyone as Bill handed us filled our goblets with wine. We raised them in a toast.

"To Teddy Remus Lupin," Lupin said happily, "a great wizard in the making!"

" 'Oo does 'e look like?" Fleur inquired.

"I think he looks like Dora, but she thinks he is like me. Not much hair. It looked black when he was born, but I swear it's turned ginger in the hour since. Probably be blond by the time I get back. Andromeda says Tonks's hair started changing colour the day that she was born." He drained his goblet. "Oh, go on then, just one more!"

I smiled happily, feeling strongly the change in atmosphere in the cottage. Tidings of Teddy's birth seemed to have lifted all our spirits.

"I really must be back," Remus said at last as he pulled his travelling cloak back around himself.

I moved away from Harry — who had been holding me in a warm embrace — and made my way toward my godfather before he walked out the door.

"Remus," I said. "Tell Tonks I can't wait to see her and little Teddy."

He smiled brightly at the mention of his family. "Of course."

I kept my eyes fixed upon him. Sensing my hesitation, he frowned, but then his expression changed ever so slightly, as though he heard my silent question.

"He's gone into hiding since the Ministry somehow found out you were with Harry," he said. "I don't know where he is at the moment."

I looked down at my feet for a moment, feeling guilt flame up in my chest, as well as an immense sense of fear and loneliness, knowing that if something happened to my only parent, I would be the one to blame.

"But don't worry," Remus added quickly, and I looked up to him hesitantly, " he is safe. He often comes by and we exchange news. In fact, I saw him just two days past."

I gave him a small grateful smile. "Could you  — " I took a deep breath to settle my nerves, "could you tell him I love him, please."

Remus smiled fondly at me before engulfing me in a tight hug. "Of course, dear."

He quickly said his goodbyes to everyone else before walking back into the cold night. As soon as I turned around to face the others I was caught off guard by Harry's warm embrace, his arms engulfing me with reassuring familiarity. After a while, he gently grabbed my chin and made me look up at him.

"I'm here for you, always, you know that right?" he said, genuine concern etched onto his face.

"I know," I said with a weak smile before snuggling against his chest once more. "I know."

~~~

I cannot believe I haven't posted a chapter in over a month, I'm terrible lol!! Also I know this is a really horrible and short chapter, especially after such a long wait, so I'll be updating again today!