Chapter 110 - The Grey Lady

The last time I had walked into the Great Hall, it had been filled with mourning students and professors getting ready for Dumbledore's funeral. Now, nearly a year later it was filled with terrified students in travelling cloaks and dressing gowns, all anxiously awaiting orders.

"Where are Ron and Hermione?" Harry asked.

"They've gone to the Chamber of Secrets," I said in a low voice, "to get a Basilisk fang."

Harry frowned, but then his eyes widened in realization.

"Alright," he said and we turned to listen to Professor McGonagall.

"Evacuation will be overseen by Mr. Filch and Madam Pomfrey. Prefects, when I give the word, you will organize your House and take your charges, in an orderly fashion, to the evacuation point."

Ernie Macmillan stood up. "And what if we want to stay and fight?"

Many students applauded.

"If you are of age, you may stay," Professor McGonagall said.

"Where's Professor Snape?" a girl shouted from the Slytherin table.

"He has, to use the common phrase, done a bunk," McGonagall said, and a great cheer erupted from the Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff tables.

"We have already placed protection around the castle," she went on, "but it is unlikely to hold for very long unless we reinforce it. I must ask you, therefore, to move quickly and calmly, and do as your prefects —"

Her last words were drowned as a different, snake-like voice echoed through the Hall. Harry and I stared at each other as it spoke.

"I know that you are preparing to fight."

Some students began to scream in terror while others clung to each other.

"Your efforts are futile. You cannot fight me. I do not want to kill you. I have great respect for the teachers of Hogwarts. I do not want to spill magical blood."

There was silence now, but my heartbeat grew loud as drums in my ears as he went on.

"Give me Harry Potter and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter, and I shall leave the school untouched. Give me Harry Potter, and you will be rewarded.

"You have until midnight."

I shuddered. Harry squeezed my hand comfortingly, but then we noticed everyone looking at him, and fear seized me.

"What are you waiting for?" Pansy Parkinson shouted. "Someone grab him!"

My eyes narrowed and I stepped in front of Harry, as though to show that I would not let anyone harm him. But to my surprise, all the other Gryffindors moved to stand beside Harry and I facing the Slytherins. Then the Hufflepuffs stood, followed by the Ravenclaws.

"Thank you, Miss Parkinson," Professor McGonagall said. "You will leave the Hall first with Mr. Filch. If the rest of your House could follow."

Slowly the four tables emptied and soon enough Kingsley rose to speak to everyone who had remained, which included the Professors, the Order, and a large number of older students.

"We've only got half an hour until midnight, so we need to act fast!" he said. "A battle plan has been agreed between the teachers of Hogwarts and the Order of the Phoenix. Professors Flitwick, Sprout, and McGonagall are going to take groups of fighters up to the three highest towers — Ravenclaw, Astronomy, and Gryffindor — where they'll have a good overview, excellent positions from which to work spells. Meanwhile, Remus, Arthur and I will take groups into the grounds. We'll need somebody to organize defence of the entrances of the passageways into the school —"