Chapter 31 - Summer 1995

For the first time in 4 years, I was glad to climb aboard the Hogwarts Express at the end of the school year.

The last month had gone by in a blur. Dumbledore had given a speech to the whole school on the evening following the third task, asking everyone to leave Harry alone and not question him about the maze. To make things worse, that had pushed people to start avoiding him, skirting him as they passed him in the corridors.

I didn't understand their reactions but coupled with Fudge's reaction, I knew it did not bode well. My father had sounded very worried in his last letters, and though I could not have told him anything about Voldemort, I was certain he had been alerted already.

When Ron, Hermione, and I spent time with Harry, we were mostly silent or talking about other things. It was as though we had all reached an understanding that Harry would talk when he was ready, but also that we were waiting patiently for news of the outside world.

I knew this was what Harry needed, and yet a part of me wanted him to speak. Not about the maze, but about what he was feeling, and if he was alright because I couldn't stand to watch him go through this on his own.

Apparently, Mrs. Weasley had asked Dumbledore if Harry could stay with them at the Burrow as soon as the term was over, but he had refused. We had all promised to write to him all the time to compensate for the horrible time he would spend with the Dursleys, but even that had not cheered him up.

Dumbledore had given another speech before the last feast of the year last night. His words still rang in my head.

"Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort," he had said, causing a panicked whisper to sweep through the hall.

"The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this," he had gone on. "It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so — either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident is an insult to his memory.

"There is somebody else who must be mentioned in connection wit Cedric's death. I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter."

Numerous people had turned to look at Harry, who resolutely looked ahead to Professor Dumbledore, visibly doing all in his power to stay standing.

"Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort," the headmaster had said. "He risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honour him."

As Professor Dumbledore had raised his goblet toward Harry, nearly everyone in the Great Hall had followed.

"I say to you all, once again — in the light of Lord Voldemort's return, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.

"It is my belief — and never have I so hoped that I am mistaken — that we are all facing dark and difficult times. Some of you in this Hall have already suffered directly at the hands of Lord Voldemort. Many of your families have been torn asunder . . ."

Many of your families have been torn asunder . . .

These words echoed in my mind as the train sped toward King's Cross.