Chapter 103 - The Wandmaker

Griphook was laying in a large bed in a bedroom with a spectacular view of the sea. But I had no time to look upon the sunrise reflecting upon the golden waves. I leaned against the window beside Harry while Hermione sat on a chair and Ron the arm.

"How are you?" Harry asked the Goblin.

"Alive," Griphook said dryly.

"You probably don't remember —" Harry began.

"— that I was the goblin who showed you to your vault, the first time you ever visited Gringotts?" said Griphook. "I remember, Harry Potter. Even amongst goblins, you are very famous."

Harry and he stared at each other for a moment.

"You buried the elf," Griphook said.

"Yes."

"You also rescued a Goblin," he added. "You are a very unusual wizard."

"Right," Harry said.

"How did you come by this sword?" Griphook asked as he pointed at the sword of Gryffindor.

"It's complicated," Harry said. "Why did Bellatrix Lestrange think it should be in her vault at Gringotts?"

"It's complicated," the Goblin mocked.

"The sword presented itself to us in a moment of need," Harry explained after a moment. "We didn't steal it."

There was a pause before Griphook spoke again.

"There is a sword in Madam Lestrange's vault identical to this one, but it is a fake," he said. "I take it you already know this. You asked me to lie for you back there."

"But the fake sword isn't the only thing in that vault, is it?" Harry asked. "Perhaps you've seen the other things in there?"

I looked at him and frowned.

"Perhaps," Griphook said simply.

Harry took a deep breath. "Well, I need some help, Griphook, and you can give it to me."

Griphook stayed silent, so Harry continued.

"I need to break into her vault."

We all looked at him with wide eyes.

"Harry —" I began.

"Break into a Gringotts vault?" Griphook repeated, wincing. "It is impossible."

"Alone, yes," Harry admitted. "But with you, no."

"Why should I help you?" the Goblin said.

"I have gold," Harry said. "Lots of it."

"I'm not interested in gold."

"Then what?" Harry asked.

There was a pause before Griphook pointed at the sword.

"That," he said. "That is my prize."

Harry looked intently at the sword for a moment before turning back to Griphook.

"Alright," he said.

We walked out of the room. Hermione, Ron and I stared at him with wide eyes.

"Harry, are you saying what I think you're saying?" I said. "Are you saying there a Horcrux in the Lestrange's vault?"

"Yes," Harry said. "Bellatrix was terrified when she thought we'd been in there, she was beside herself. Why? What did she think we'd seen, what else did she think we might have taken? Something she was petrified You-Know-Who would find out about."