•Unrequited•Angst•

Gray and Natsu were rivals. It was obvious to anyone who was in the guild. One thing that wasn't obvious was Gray's gigantic crush on Natsu.

Another thing that was obvious was Natsu's huge crush on Lucy. Another thing that wasn't obvious was that Gray was hurting inside.

Team Natsu was currently on a job. They were on the train and like usual, Natsu was feeling motion sick. He was laying his head in Lucy's lap while she stroked his salmon hair. Natsu had a light blush that matched his hair on his face. Lucy didn't look at all fazed.

Natsu's face got redder every second. It was annoying Gray. Natsu was blushing, but it wasn't because of him. It was because the busty celestial wizard. Lucy had what Gray wanted. He wanted Natsu.

Natsu didn't want him though.

Gray now knew how Juvia felt when he rejected her. Gray hurt her feelings because he had a slight bit of hope that maybe, just maybe, Natsu would also like him. It was clear that wasn't the case.

Gray didn't notice he was glaring at Lucy till Natsu started growling at him. Gray looked at Natsu before turning his attention to his hands. This was going to be a long mission.

When the group got back from their mission and entered the guild, Natsu grabbed Gray's arm and dragged him towards one of the tables in the back corners. Gray's dim fire started to burn brightly again. Was this it?

"Okay, I know its not usual for me to have normal conversations with you, but I need some help." Natsu started. "Um..okay." Gray responded. He started to get his hopes up. (He's so excited I feel bad)

"I like someone. I need ideas on how to tell them." Natsu said, blushing and not making eye contact. "Who is it?" Gray sat up a little straighter.

"Someone in the guild.."

"What do they look like?"

"Um..secret." Natsu smiled awkwardly. God, how Gray loved his smile. "Well, just go up and ask them. Not in public of course, because if they reject you that would be embarrassing." Gray chuckled.

'I would never reject you.'

"Hmm, I guess. Thanks, Gray." And with that, he walked off. Gray was smiling. What if it was him?What if he read the signs wrong and he didn't like Lucy, but him instead?

That all changed when he saw Natsu run up to Lucy with the biggest smile and blush across his face.

'Never mind.'

"Hey Gray, I guess today is the day Natsu confesses to Lucy, yeah? Let's go watch." Erza called to Gray. Gray smiled a fake smile before getting up and following the redhead.

Gray and Erza watched from a couple meters away, to where they could see Natsu and Lucy, but they couldn't see Gray and Erza.

Natsu smiled. "Luce, I need to tell you something."

Lucy smiled back. "Okay!"

Erza smiled. "Look at how big their smiles are Gray! Their totally in love!"

Gray frowned. "Yeah.."

'Not in love with me.'

Natsu said something they couldn't hear. Lucy smiled even bigger and blushed. Gray watched as Natsu and Lucy hugged each other and Lucy gave Natsu a small kiss on the cheek.

Gray didn't like it here anymore. He walked back to the guild after Erza walked over to congratulate them.

For the next few months all Gray would see was Natsu and Lucy. At the guild he saw them holding hands or kissing. On jobs they were being cute with eachother. During summer they would play in the pool together. During winter she wore Natsu's scarf while he used his fire magic to make her warm. During spring they'd play in the rain. During fall they'd play in the leaves. When Gray was sleeping, they'd be in his nightmares getting married. If he wasn't seeing them in person, he saw them in his thoughts.

He couldn't see anything but Natsu at one point. Now he can't see anything but Natsu and Lucy.

This wasn't healthy. Gray knew that. He tried moving on, he really did. Tried dating Juvia, but it didn't go well. Gray didn't want Juvia to be dating someone who held no true feelings for her. She deserved her happiness.

He tried dating other guys. That didn't work either.

He wanted everything to stop.

This was the only way.

Life once asked Death "Why does everyone love me, but hate you?"

Death answered, "It's because you are the beautiful lie and I am the painful truth."

Gray's beautiful lie was over.

He told the painful truth.

Word count : 768