Torquil Travers

Torquil Travers: Seventh-year Slytherin, a pureblood whose family is a member of the Sacred 28. He might not exactly say that he believes in blood purity, but he does think that society is better if people know where they come from and adjusts their ambitions accordingly. He's sharp-tongued and his observations tend to be on the unkind side of blunt, but never let it be said that he wasn't realistic about his own marriage prospects or anyone else's. His name is the Anglicised version of the Scottish name Torcuil, which is in itself derived from Þórketill, "Thor's cauldron".

Torquil is actually a canon name that exists for one of the members of the Travers family. The Travers family is a member of the 28. In canon 'Travers' was a murderer of Marlene McKinnon and her family, and this resulted in him being sent to Azkaban, but that Travers has no first name. It might even be Torquil.

Has a complicated attitude to Tom Riddle because on the one hand, Slytherins stick together, and his rise also shines a good light on their House. On the other hand, it chafes to see someone who is apparently a muggleborn able to pull several pureblood heirs to him already and seem to be very good at making a name for himself. What does he have, really?

First Appearance: In Chapter 37 ("The Dark Side of theMoon"), chatting with Sidney Selwyn and Tancred Macmillan in the library.He also appears in Chapter 47 ("The Violence Cycle").