Thomas [1]

The first thing he saw was the blinding light of the sun as it flooded down upon him from above. Boys shouted and hollered, though he still couldn't see them. A strong pair of hands grabbed him and pulled him upwards, throwing him into the ground.

Stunned, the boy looked up, his eyes now adjusted to the light. His heart stopped.

"Y/N?" He gaped, voice staggered as he was lost for words.

The Glade fell silent as each and every boy looked to the only girl. After a moment, she girl looked to her friends completely speechless, shrugging her shoulders.

"You know this shank?" Alby boomed.

"N-No." Y/N snapped back defensively as she pushed her way through the crowd, disappearing into the deadheads.

The brown haired boy remained on the rough ground, staring in the direction which Y/N had disappeared. He felt awful—appalled by everything going on all around him. He couldn't even remember his own name, yet he remembered her. There was no denying it.

"C'mon, greenie." A voice with an accent rang out, his glance completely dispirited. "Name's Newt. Time to give you a tour."

The new member of this so called Glade followed the blonde around briskly, his head always on a pivot looking for the Y/H/C haired girl he'd seen before.

"So what's the deal with Y/N? She's the only girl here? Her name isY/N, right?" The brunette abruptly asked as Newt was in the middle of a detailed explanation regarding toilet usage.

"What's go you in such a buggin' plight over her?" Newt crossed his arms in irritation.

"She's the only thing I can remember—wouldn't you be a little curious too?" The greenie questioned, even though he already knew his answer.

Newt huffed. "Look, leave her be a while, yeah? She's probably taken aback by you suddenly blabbering out her name, and needs time to think about it."

Though he didn't want to, he agreed with the blonde and followed him around for the rest of the tour. The entire day, he'd caught glimpses of the girl here and there, but was never able to catch a second glance. She was either very elusive, or as his memory suggested, was good at going unnoticed when she wanted to.

Newt knocked on the door of what he called the 'medjacks' before proceeding inside. When he did, a pile of supplies clattered to the floor. It was Y/N.

The greenie raced to her side and began to help gather the medical supplies. When everything was cleared, she raised her head to thank the helper, eyes then widening with a kind of resent.

Y/N set her things down and staggered backwards shakily, making a break for the door.

"Y/N— wait!" The boy cried out, only to have his arm gripped tight by Newt. "Oh c'mon." He threw his head back in frustration.

"I said give her time." Newt reminded with a stern voice.

Only a few hours had passed, and the boy had witnessed the giant fissures in the walls close, been thrown into the dirt a few times, and finally remembered his name.

Thomas. That was his name. Now, he remembered two things. His name and hers.

Thomas ambled anxiously around the bonfire where boys all joked and laughed, watching them make futile attempts to approach the girl. She sat beside the fighting ring, tending to an endless stream of wounded Gladers. Thomas figured her job was a medjack, which came as no surprise to him. He could remember her in the WICKED compound, always having to patch up her own injuries as she fought her way to be better than the rest of the boys. The thought made him smile.

Not entirely sure of what to do, Thomas sat a ways away from Y/N, but kept her in sight. When there was no one else around, he was going to talk to her. He had to.

And sure enough, his opportunity arose. She fixed up the last boy who seemed in need of medical attention and Thomas sprinted over towards her. He picked her up off of the ground and covered her mouth, looking to her with pleading eyes to be quiet. She nodded in suspicion.

Thomas carefully lead her towards the medjack hut and sat down on one of the beds beside her. At any moment, it felt as if his heart would explode. He had no clue what to say, now questioning if his memories were even real. But they were so vivid, it felt like he could feel them.

So, he reached for her hand. Immediately Y/N jolted back with a sharp breath escaping her.

"I need to be sure it's you." He said with a pair of devastated eyes which she knew held truth behind them. She rest her hand back down slowly, letting Thomas take it in his own.

That was how he knew his memories were real. Her hand was familiar to his touch, just as he'd expected.

"So, have you been following me around because you wanted to touch my hand or is there something else you've brought me here for?" Y/N asked sarcastically, trying to not let her fear override her systems.

"Y/N I remember you. I know you. I—"

"Thomas you haven't a single idea of who I am." She forced.

"I remember that I love you." Thomas admitted, his voice weak, body trembling. If the girl didn't know better, she'd imagine he was in a great deal of pain. And maybe, he was.

The girl shook her head and lowered her eyes bashfully. "Thomas, I'm sorry, but I'm just like everyone else here. I don't remember anything, and for someone to come here and tell me that—"

"Are you saying you don't believe me?" He asked, feeling completely betrayed. He knew deep down that he couldn't blame her for not remembering, but how could she not? He remembered. A memory like that can't just be taken, can it?

"N-No!" She sat forwards in defence. "But how am I supposed to, Thomas?"

The sound of her voice saying his name shot shards of glass into his already bleeding heart. "I-It's me! I swear!" He shouted, barring his teeth.

"How do I know you isn't just the creators messing with me more than they already have?" Y/N whispered sharply, furrowing her brows and lowering her head.

Thomas stared into the once so familiar eyes of the girl. The fire he saw burning in them was now nothing more than a pile of ash. Whatever the people who sent them here had done to her was enough to wear the strongest person he knew to the bone. Tears began brimming in his eyes. They weren't tears of his own sadness or weakness, but of sympathy, knowing that she might never remember who he once was to her.

All he could hope was that there was a difference between not being recognized by someone and them forgetting. He prayed that there was something stopping her from recognizing him, not that he'd been completely removed from her memory and her heart.

She needed some time to think straight. She needed a moment in her own space. So, she left the medjack hut without even saying goodbye.

It was in that moment which Thomas decided he was going to become a runner. He was going to find a way out. And he was going to find a way to get Y/N's memories back, no matter what it cost him. All he wanted was for her to remember.