Minho [5]

They'd been running all day, per usual. It was getting late and Minho knew they should be heading back, but his gut was telling him to make just a couple more turns.

"Minho, we should go back!" Thomas called out, slight concern lacing his voice.

"Just a couple more turns!" He kept his response short, still pushing forwards. Y/N sent a worried glare back to Thomas, knowing that they were running out of time.

Minho, Y/N and Thomas all skidded to a stop as they rounded the last corner. The group stared up in awe, an enormous wall of ivy looming before them.

"That's new..." Minho muttered as he stepped closer to the greenery, his curiosity getting the better of him.

"Mark it down and lets go!" Y/N barked impatiently, the ground beneath them beginning to rumble.

"Alright, alright!" Minho snapped back as he took out a piece of parchment and scribbled down the location of the wall.

Complete silence fell. The ground stopped rumbling and no one spoke. All until Thomas turned his attention back to the ivy.

"HOLY SHIIT!" He shrieked. Y/N and Minho both looked to Thomas, then to each other, and then to the facade of ivy behind. A grievers leg broke through the curtain of vegetation before the rest of it, a metal blade shooting out. The grievers mouth cracked open and sent forth a raucous screech which made each of the kids cover their ears.

"RUN!" Minho shouted, tugging his friends along by their shirts. Y/N was right on Minho's tail, but Thomas, still disorientated and overwhelmed toppled to the ground. He scrambled to get up but the griever was faster, picking up and tossing Thomas into a wall nearby. Minho ran at the disturbing creature with his knife while Y/N went to retrieve Thomas. His head was bloodied, bruised, and he was unconscious. But, he was breathing.

"MINHO HELP ME!" Y/N called out to the keeper of runners desperately as she tried to pick Thomas up.

"WE DON'T HAVE TIME! RUN!" Minho demanded but Y/N refused to move.

"KILL IT!" She yelled at him. It was either try and carry Thomas out of here, which she knew was impossible, or for Minho to kill the thing.

Y/N didn't watch it unfold, but she heard Minho cry out angrily and the griever yelp in agony. The sound of metal scraping across stone shot off in the direction from which it once came and then disappeared. The girl sat huddled on the ground in front of Thomas, trying to shield his body.

"Hey—HEY!" Minho jumped as he rest a hand on Y/N's back, causing her to jolt in fright. "It's gone."

The runner kept his hands on her back, watching as the storm of trepidation slowly subsided in her eyes and breathing began to even. Something foreign and deep inside told him to take her in his arms, reinforce how they were safe now. But, he couldn't bring himself to do it.

"Ok help." She tried to focus on getting Thomas up, even though the adrenaline in her mind was still scrambling her thoughts.

Minho grabbed her arm and tried to pull her away from Thomas. "We don't have time." He said sternly. "We've gotta go."

The runner tugged at Y/N as he tried to run off, but she stood firm. "We're not leaving him!" She furrowed her brows in disbelief, tearing her arm away from Minho's grip.

"There isn't time!" He cried in frustration.

"Yes there is!" Y/N grumbled, pushing at Thomas to try and stand him.

Minho stood in the middle of the corridor. He could run. Make it back to the Glade with more than enough time. Then, he looked to his friends. He could try. But there was a chance they wouldn't make it.

"I'll never forget if you turn your back on me now." Y/N snarled, knowing Minho was contemplating if he should just leave.

Minho snapped out of his thoughts and reached for Thomas, helping Y/N pick him up off of the ground. He'd never forgive himself for what he'd almost done. He'd almost left his friends in the maze, alone, all because why? So he could make it back safe? Some selfish thing came over him for a moment there, something he hoped was just his instincts.

The maze doors may have nearly crushed Minho's shoulders on the way through, but they'd made it. Thomas, Y/N, and Minho all made it back safe.

"Is everyone alright?" A familiar British voice called out fearfully. Newt leaned down over Y/N, helping her sit up.

"Thomas—He's hurt." Y/N pointed to her friend who now lay on the grass unconscious, head wound still bleeding.

"Medjack!" Newt shouted, waving to Thomas' lifeless frame. Clint and Jeff picked him up while Y/N clung to Newt's frame, watching her fellow runner be carried away.

Some time had past and Y/N still sat in the Medjack hut, keeping an eye on Thomas. He was still unconscious, but at least he was breathing. Then, a knock came at the door.

"Yeah?" Y/N mumbled.

Minho pushed the door open gently and peered in, hoping for the best. Something inside of him made him afraid to look the girl in the eyes, maybe it was guilt, but he wasn't sure.

"I'm glad you're ok." He said softly, scanning Thomas' head.

"Yeah, you too." She murmured tiredly, a yawn escaping her.

"I'm... sorry I almost left." Minho lamented. He'd never, ever forgive himself. If it were just Thomas, he wouldn't have been so mad at himself. But he almost left her.

"It's ok, Minho." Y/N stifled a laugh, standing up. "C'mere." She guided the runner to the other cot in the room, sitting him down.

Ever so gently, Y/N rung out a towel and pressed it to the cut on Minho's head. Instinctively, he reached up and wrapped his hand around her wrist, wincing in pain.

"How bad does it hurt?" Y/N asked.

Minho released his grip a little, softening his face. "It's fine."

"Lucky you, doesn't look like it'll need stitches." She sighed with a weak smile, pressing a piece of gauze over the wound on his forehead. She gently taped it down and then turned away to pack up the supplies.

Minho sat in silence for a moment, an overwhelming, crushing feeling on his chest. Suddenly, he stood up and stormed over to the girl, gripping her shoulders and turning her to face him. He wrapped his arms around protectively and held tight.

"I'm sorry." He whimpered quietly, burying his nose in her hair.

"You got us out, it's ok." Y/N reinforced.

"Yeah, thanks Minho." Thomas said groggily, rubbing at his head. Y/N turned to look and smiled at the frazzled boy, still trying to clear his vision. She went to step forwards but Minho pulled her back into his arms, her back against his chest.