Newt [22]

There were a lot of secrets in the Glade. No matter how unlikely that seemed, there were still things each person hid inside of themselves. Some incidents that happened back in the early days were simply not made to meet the light of day ever again. They had lost a lot of boys back then, but things were better now.

Newt held more secrets than the average Glader. They weren't harmful or immoral, they just were. Simple and benign were most of his secrets. One's the others could know and it wouldn't change a thing.

Truth was, Newt lost a lot of things to the maze. Most of his hope, and his ability to run. But there was one pice of himself which it didn't take away, and that his ability to draw. The blonde boy always had a keen eye and equally gifted ability to transfer what he saw with his eyes onto a pice of paper. It was as if he was taking a photograph, his drawings so detailed and full of life, capturing a moment in time forever with just a pencil and paper.

His favourite subject also just happened to be his second biggest secret. Y/N. He hated to admit it, but from the moment she arrived in the Glade his heart was constantly beating a little too fast. It also made talking to her beyond difficult and he found himself struggling to get past a simple 'hello' everyday. He cursed his timidness.

On days when he simply didn't have the nerve to approach her, especially on bonfire nights like these, he sat back and watched. While everyone else was completely intoxicated by Gally's secret concoction, it was easy for him to sit alone at the fire and draw.

Everything was peaceful until Minho started causing a ruckus. That was a normal occurrence, but his target was not. Usually, he bothered Thomas or pried at Gally's nerves. But, tonight, his eyes were set on Newt. The moment the second in command noticed the mischievous smile on the runners face, he could already feel his face beginning to heat up.

So, maybe, his little secret about Y/N wasn't much of a secret. Minho on one late night had made Newt cough up the truth. Newt swore him to secrecy, but drunk Minho wasn't one to be considerate of old promises.

"Newt!" Minho nothing short of battle cried from across the fire, his arms raised high and wide. The drink he held in his hand dumped out all over the ground, but he drank from the empty jar anyways as if there was still something inside. "How ya doin?"

"Good, Minho," Newt laughed nervously and pulled his knees to his chest, hopefully hiding the sketches in his lap. "How about you?"

"Mmmm," Minho stumbled closer. "Bored."

"Ah, yeah?" Newt looked over to Y/N nervously, flickering his eyes back to Minho quickly. He'd gotten closer. Luckily, Y/N still wasn't paying attention. "Go fight Thomas, he looks awful bored as well."

"No no no," Minho slurred. "I want to talk to you!"

Newt swallowed hard. He could tell Y/N was paying attention now, sitting across the fire with Chuck.

"How bout' we talk about Y/N!" He straightened up with an enlightened look on his face Newt knew wouldn't last long. "How many pages are full of er' face now, hmm?"

"Uhhm," Newt cleared his throat awkwardly. He could feel his body physically sinking closer to the ground.

"Lemme see!" Minho reached down and tried to snag some of the papers from Newt.

Explosively, Newt drew his legs closer in to himself and his face tightened with aggravation. "No!"

Right after he let the word pass his lips, he regretted it. He had just blown up on Minho right in front of Y/N, something completely embarrassing that he never wanted to happen. In no way did he want to give Y/N the idea that he was some guy with anger issues he couldn't control.

"Nah?" Minho laughed. "C'mon Newttt. I'd like to admire your beautiful...uh...doodles."

Newt knew he couldn't say no. Minho had, even in his drunken state, asked nicely. "Alright. But stay here with them."

Carefully, Newt handed the papers to Minho. The runner still face him, so there was no way Y/N could see the papers in his hands. That was until Minho giggled to himself and turned around at light speed.

"Y/N, come see!" He waved to the girl. Hesitantly, she stood up with a raised brow.

Newt desperately tugged at Minho's pants, pleading him to stop. "Minho!"

"Newt likes your face!" Minho snickered as he practically shoved the papers in Y/N's face so she'd see. "Well, I guess he likes everything. But he really likes your face tonight."

Sure enough, the girl found several drawings of herself on the pages. She would have liked to compliment Newt for his amazing artwork, but by the time she looked to where he had once been sitting, he was gone. Minho had made him run off in a panic.

"Really, Minho?" Y/N groaned. "Now I have to go find him!"

The runner simply laughed in his drunken stupor, not knowing or caring what he'd just done, or the turmoil he'd caused for his friend. Newt often ran off when he was embarrassed, but little did Minho know, he was genuinely hurt this time.

Newt thought the watchtower was the one place no one would bother him. But, of course, someone opened the creaky hatch door and shuffled onto the floor.

"Minho, leave me alone." The boy pulled his knees to his chest, wiping at his dampened cheeks.

"And if it's not Minho?" Y/N cringed.

Silence.

Y/N made her way to sit beside Newt, offering him his drawings. He didn't move,  refusing to take them back so Y/N just left them at her side. "Look, Minho was just—"

"It wasn't his bloody job to tell you. It was mine." Newt snapped. He buried his face into his sleeves and glared down towards the bonfire.

Y/N sighed."But were you ever going to do it if he didn't?"

Newt blushed. Of course he would have. Right? He didn't say anything because part of him knew he never would have admitted his feelings.

"Mmm," Y/N hummed. "You know, maybe it wasn't a bad thing Minho said it."

Newt simply stifled a laugh. "Well, doesn't matter anyways because I know you don't feel the same way."

Y/N scoffed and shoved Newt's shoulder. He looked to her baffled and almost offended, as if she were mocking him. "I never said that."

"No, but I can—"

"Tell?" Y/N raised a brow. "If that's the case, your assumptions are wrong."

"Wait—you? Really?" Newt gaped.

Y/N nodded with a soft smile. "Even when you run off all the time and I can tell you're too nervous to hold a conversation, yes."

Newt thought his heart beat fast anytime he was around her, but now it was going twice as fast. Faster than he thought humanly possible. He felt lightheaded and nauseous and while so happy at the same time. In the spur of the moment, he jumped up and hung over the railing of the watchtower, hollering at the top of his lungs.

"THANK YOU MINHO!"

Far down below, Minho yelled back. "YOU'RE WELCOME!"

Newt turned around with bright eyes, a wide smile and dishevelled hair. His body radiated excitement, but his flushed face emitted embarrassment. Even though what he'd just done was way beyond awkward, Y/N couldn't help but laugh. It caused Newt to do the same, and for a moment in time, it felt as if all of his worries faded.