Chapter Thirty-Two

When Lucy dropped you back off at your apartment, you were hyping yourself up to tell Ben about the baby. You opened the door and it was really dark. All you could see was a dim light, in the corner of your eye, coming from your kitchen.

"Ben?" you called out walking towards the kitchen. When you entered you saw Ben standing next to a table covered in rose petals and a candle in the centre. There were candles placed all around your kitchen, giving it a warm, homely glow along with the familiar scent of burning candles that made you feel a great sense of nostalgia. Ben definitely knew what you liked - you supposed it was a perk of being friends for years and finally dating after all that time.

"You trying to set the apartment on fire?" You joked, but we're still studying the room in amazement.

"take a seat y/n" he said, pulling the chair out for you.

"what's all this?" you asked, laughing.
"well it's our two week anniversary" he said smiling at you.

"I didn't know we were celebrating. I can't believe you did this for me" you said, not able to stop smiling.

"of course we're celebrating" he scoffed, pushing the seat in for you and gab you a quick peck, before bringing over two plates of food, that smelled amazing.

"All these years we've know each other, and honestly, I did not know you could cook like this" you laughed taking a bite of your chicken.

"well, I never had a good reason to show you my romantic side before" he said, smiling up at you.

"I wish you had! We probably would've eaten a lot healthier and not gotten as much take out" you laughed, between mouthfuls.

The rest of your dinner was perfect – you were constantly in stitches of laughter and you had never felt so genuinely happy before. He made you feel good in a way that no guy ever had before and you never wanted that feeling to end. You were ecstatic that you were with Ben, but your mood suddenly changed when you remembered you had to tell him about the baby.

"listen Ben I need to tell you something" you started but Ben quickly interrupted.

"before you do, there's something I want to say" he jumped in, moving round the table to sit in front of you, and hold your hands. He looked up from your hands into your eyes, with an unapologetically loving gaze, and he sighed happily. "I love you so much, y/n. I've never felt this way about anyone before, which is ridiculous seen as I've known you for so long. I can't believe I never realised how I felt. I've loved you for the better part of a decade and I never even realised it and I slightly hate myself for not realising it before. I know our meeting was...less than conventional. You did throw a drink in my face but if it meant getting to this place with you someday, then it was all worth it. I'm so lucky to have someone so amazing in my life. You have truly turned my world around. You are my world, my future" he said, standing in front of you, before getting down on one knee, causing you to throw your hands to your mouth. "I know this seems sudden because we've only been officially dating for two weeks, but I've loved you for so many years, and I know you have too, and I can't wait any longer. Also, on top of that you keep almost dying and I need to marry you before the next time" he laughed, making you laugh too.

He pulled out a red, velvet box out of his pocket and opened it to reveal a beautiful, silver ring with two diamonds twisted together in the centre.

"will you marry me?" he finally asked with a shaky breath and you could only nod violently in response. He smiled and let out a breathy laugh, before he stood up, taking you with him, and he pulled you in for a long deep kiss, the kind that sent fire through every vein in your body. He pulled away from you, removing the ring from the box and you suddenly stepped back before he could place the ring on your finger.

"wait, Ben" you started, causing him to look terrified. "there's something I have to tell you first" you finished, moving your gaze to floor and composing yourself.

"what is it?" he asked concerned. You really hoped what you were about to say wouldn't change anything. Ben and you were finally built yourselves up to a good place and you were about to tear it down.