Chapter Twenty-Four

It had been a month since Ben had left. He had called you a lot and things felt like the way they were before which made you happy. You were sitting in the living room with Megan one night watching film – the spy who dumped me.

"I love Mila Kunis" you laughed.

"I know you do. I remember in high school you went through a phase of wearing 70s clothing after seeing her in that 70s show" Megan laughed. "did Ben call you today?" she asked.

She knew how you felt about him, and even though he was with Amy, she was still rooting for you guys to end up together. However, she was getting annoyed at how often you guys missed each other. Any time one of you was available, the other wasn't.

"yeah he did. He was about to go out to a pub with everyone. Or whatever they're called in America" you said, interrupted by a sudden wave of nausea swept over you, but you ignored it.

"let me guess – Amy told him she needed him and he suddenly had to go" Megan added.

That was what happened, but before you could say anything you felt the bile rise up your throat and you ran to the bathroom to throw up. Megan came running in after you, holding back you hair.

Once you had spat out the last of it, you flushed the toilet and sat back against the wall.

"what was that about?" Megan asked, eyes wide with concern.

"probably Amy" you laughed, catching your breath.

"seriously y/n. When was the last time you had your period?" she asked.

"wait, you don't think I'm-" you started.

"did you use protection with all those guys that you were in and out of last month?" she asked.

"okay, first of all - ew. Second of all yes I used condoms, all of them..." you trailed off. "no...no, no, no, no" you continued. "Ben didn't...but I'm on the pill" you exclaimed, looking up at her with worry.

"y/n...do you have a pregnancy test lying around?" she asked.

You nodded your brows furrowed in concern and confusion. Was this really happening? Were you really pregnant with...Ben's child?

"where is it?" she asked.

"in my drawer in my room" you said, breaking out of your thoughts.

She returned and passed you the test, waiting in the living room for you. You emerged a minute later and sat next to Megan, shaking as you placed the test on the table.

"how long is it?" she asked.

"two minutes" you replied.

This would derail your whole life. And possibly even Ben's too. You pictured a world where Ben was constantly away filming and you had to raise this child by yourself. You shuddered at the thought.

Megan placed her hand on your knee, steadying your leg as you were bouncing it up and down in anxiety. You waited the agonisingly long two minutes before turning to Megan.

"I-I can't do it. I'm so scared, Megan" you said, trying to take deep breaths but failing.

"it's okay, it's okay, I'll do it" she said, lifting up the test and breathing out shakily. You couldn't tell if it was good or bad. "it's negative" she said.

"oh", along with a long breath out, was all you managed to get out. Obviously you were relieved, but some part of you was slightly disappointed for some reason.

You were disappointed wouldn't have a child with his bright green eyes or his blonde curly locks, but you knew it was probably for the best anyway. He was with Amy and you almost lost him recently and you couldn't risk losing him again.

Megan pulled you in for a long hug and you steadied your breathing, a few tears escaping your eyes.

"I think you should probably get some sleep it's been a long day" Megan said, guiding you to your room.

The next day went by in a blur. For some reason every couple you saw with a baby, you suddenly found yourself picturing Ben and you in their position and you envied them.